dwai

Advaita Vedanta and Buddhism - A conversation

On 2/16/2022 at 11:55 AM, old3bob said:

I'll take  the historic Buddha for his word when said,  "Wonder of wonders!"   thus imo much of the convoluted sounding stuff that we may sometimes come across in Buddhism (or may make that way) is refuted by His own witness.

"Paraphrasing Zen Priest Kobutsu Shindo, the first thing the Buddha said when he awakened was, “Wonder of wonders, all beings are truly enlightened.”

As my teacher said recently, "A sentient being sees buddhahood through their obscurations as an impossible attainment. A Buddha sees sentient beings as buddhas with obscurations." 

It isn't just beings that are already enlightened - the fabric of reality and all appearances are equally enlightened.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stirling said:

As my teacher said recently, "A sentient being sees buddhahood through their obscurations as an impossible attainment. A Buddha sees sentient beings as buddhas with obscurations." 

It isn't just beings that are already enlightened - the fabric of reality and all appearances are equally enlightened.

I'd say that's "hitting the nail on the head", as the saying goes

and on a less profound note the purity of truth can see through the darkness of a lie, but said lie is blind to the purity of truth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1