Hello,

I recently came across a few variations of the Bagua teacups (including Sifu Matsuo's whirlwing palms and a few others from youtube).  After self-practicing for a few times, I found them to be very invigorating and body-warming.  I would love to learn more variations as they seem to be very beneficial for releasing tensions in back/shoulders/other joints and circulating the lymphatic system, but I do have a couple questions:

1) any other natural extension of this type of practices, for example, among Sifu Matsuo's DVD collections or other Qigong practices?  I am looking for DVD recommendations or online learning (youtube included) for now due to the pandemic.

2) are these movements enough to build stronger and more flexible bodies  if practiced everyday or do I need to supplement with other movements?  Right now I am not at a stage to learn the whole Bagua system (e.g. walking in circles; change of hands..) due to personal health reasons, but I may in the future.  Due to the complexity of the system, I would also think I need in-person classes for that.  

Thanks in advance,

Tina

• Like 1

Sifu Matsuo has a specific teacups video.  Really focuses on the movement coming from the core/spine.  The hands assist and go for the ride, but %90 of it is going on on the inside.  When my practices are in at a low tide, minimized, I do Matsuo's teacups as something to stay in the game.  I wouldn't say that any one practice does everything, but DGS teacups definitely do a lot within that one exercise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WudangDao.com Cultural Institute.

Master Bing has a Ba Gua dvd and is a great source for on line classes from wudang mountain.

I have ben taking classes since covid hit. Guqin instrument, Tai He dao and tai chi sword. Learning live in real time on line has been amazing. you can ask questions, get corrections on a more personal level of training.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tina,

The best way to supplement your practice is to work hard on GROUNDING. The Asian-style of squat should be performed daily and it is a great grounding exercise which will strengthen your internal organs and open the joints in your entire body.

There are many videos on YT. Just to give you an idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASlrYhcCySg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdJAWekNcdU

if you can't do it straight away (like me when I first started) do kettlebell (drop slowly and progressively the weights being used; eg. 12-10-8-6-4-2kg) and pole assisted work to help you with progression. The guy in the first video is using the kitchen benchtop to do so but you can use any other still structures as you wish.

Good luck and happy practice :)

• Thanks 1