Seeking

What is Love?

Don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

Now we've got that out of the way, what do you think it is? A bunch of neurochemical secretions to ensure the propagation of the species or something more ephemeral and magical? Do people truly love another or do they simply love what they provide/make them feel? Is love entirely selfish at its root or is it selfless when ideal?

For those that have done drugs its interesting how love acts very much like them when you're high on it and can have a similar comedown when the honeymoon is over. Its also fascinating how the vast majority of the populace possesses almost no love for themselves and yet say they have plenty to give whilst being totally unaware of the contradiction and how impossible that is. Its also amusing that one who gives this state to themselves, freely and without restraint is seen as "arrogant" "self centered" "full of himself".

The ironies. They're something else. Take it away, ladies and gentlemen.

On 29/12/2021 at 3:17 AM, Seeking said:

Don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

Now we've got that out of the way, what do you think it is? A bunch of neurochemical secretions to ensure the propagation of the species or something more ephemeral and magical? Do people truly love another or do they simply love what they provide/make them feel? Is love entirely selfish at its root or is it selfless when ideal?

No on answer for all .  'True love' is mostly an ideal . I think the neurochemical explanation is not about love but about attraction / willingness to 'mate' and finding a suitable breeding partner, fascination, infatuation, etc  . of course, this is all screwed up with other stuff people mistake it for , love being one .   Is it ephemeral and magic ?  Yes, it can be .

People hink love is all different things . We used to do this exercise -

List all the things you 'love'  , doesnt matter , as long as you have used the word 'love' to describe your relationship with it ;

Eg

I love my wife . I love my job.  ...... watching football .... a cold beer after work  .... etc   .

Then list all the things that make up that 'love'  eg ; the last might be  Love =  reward x refreshment x relaxation x inebriation. In eliminate the other stuff, as we understand that . and then we are left with love . That can easily be understood as an 'additive' and can be removed .... love, in this case is  familiarity or addiction to the things it supplies  ( reward, refreshment , etc ) .

But with things like 'wife'  or 'kids' , when we remove these terms that make up a particular type of 'love' we are still left with this 'ephemeral and magical' force that is hard to define  .... but we can recognise its 'symptom' .

Bottom line, I would have to say its the state of entering into 'dissolving' into another thing .... the importance of and the boundaries of the self seem unimportant and 'dissolved' .

For those that have done drugs its interesting how love acts very much like them when you're high on it and can have a similar comedown when the honeymoon is over. Its also fascinating how the vast majority of the populace possesses almost no love for themselves and yet say they have plenty to give whilst being totally unaware of the contradiction and how impossible that is. Its also amusing that one who gives this state to themselves, freely and without restraint is seen as "arrogant" "self centered" "full of himself".

The ironies. They're something else. Take it away, ladies and gentlemen.