MildJoe

New Nei Gong practitioner curious of everything

Hi,

I’m 42, male Norwegian. Been doing yoga for a few years. Had a burnout this summer after some stressfull periods, and started searching for «how to relax and control my energy». On most days I have high levels of stress on my Garmin watch, ie. i have low HRV-levels, ie. its difficult for me to relax, i fatigue after activity, and i easily get infections/sick. I sleep well though, but being able to relax more easily during the day would be a major increase in quality of life. (Had acupuncture, and diagnose was something like «excessive Liver insuficcient Kidney»)
Came upon qigong, and followed Shi Heng Yi and his Ba Duan Jin and Xi Sui Jin videos for a while. Wanted to understand more what it was and found out about Nei Gong, and saw Yap Boh Heong and his «Roadmap to Nei Gong»-video on «The Martial Man» YT-account.

Did some research and really connected with Damo Mitchells way. Am reading his book now, A comprehensive guide to daoist nei gong, and on week 5 of his Nei gong academy.

I enjoy this, and so far the Anchoring og the breath seems like something i should be doing a lot of for a while, to get out of my head and relax and conserve my energy.

1. I feel connected to my breath, been doing some meditation, pranayama, wim hof, etc before. But I enjoy this attention vs intention practice. I’ve had far too much intention before, so just observing seems like a relief. Been doing this in 5-45min bursts throughout the day for a few weeks now.

How long to start seeing a real impact on my HRV/stress/relaxation?

2. As I can’t try out all the systems out there, I’d like to know if anyone can sort of sum up the qualities of Damos system, and maybe compare it to others? Like the one just released by Yap Boh Heong on https://themartialman.com/courses/yan-shou-gong-the-art-of-longevity-sets-1-6/ This system of his is said to be constructed to be learned faster and more effective than others, as it was made for the elderly Shaolin monks. Learn in 3 years what normally takes 10.

(I really like this guys mild personality)

Or the one by Jiang Yu Shan on warriorneigong.com

(As a newbie, his pedagogical skills seems a bit more challenging to me...)

3. Also, I had cancer, in 1992, had chemo and heavy radiation to lower back, I’m on crutches due to nerve damage in the hips/legs, and i’ve had some surgery in my abdomen, so a lot of internal scar tissue in sacrum/belly-area.

Will this affect my internal work, especially with the Dan Tian, and the flow of qi?

I’m working on standing in wuji without crutches, but it might be years before I can do any moving standing qigong. I guess i’ll try doing every standing practice sitting instead? A major lack of quality compared to standing? Better to do only practice intended for sitting?

ok, this was a lot. Any feedback is appreciated.