Bogge

Zhan zuang and Pranayama

Hey peeps,

So i was wondering if it is ok to practice both Zhan Zuang and Pranayama during the day. Or if there are any dangers to this combination?

Thanks.

ĂŽ was thinking along the lines of first doing Zhan Zuang and then doing a seated Pranayama?

Thnks for your reply.

6 minutes ago, Bogge said:

ĂŽ was thinking along the lines of first doing Zhan Zuang and then doing a seated Pranayama?

Thnks for your reply.

At least in the system I practice, this is better done at separate times in the day. Flying Phoenix at least this doesn’t matter which order or how far apart your practice is, but it’s not exactly the same as Pranayama.

• Like 2

I usually practice them 8-12 hrs apart. Mainly because I don’t have time in between. Usually I do pranayama and meditation in the morning these days, and zhan zhuang/taijiquan/neigong in the evening/night time. 

It depends of course on what kind of pranayama you do. If you’re doing lot of vigorous hatha yoga style pranayama, best to do it separately. If you are doing more subtle pranayama, I don’t see a reason why you can’t do ZZ after a couple of hours (if you have the time).

Pranayama in the mornings helps balance and boost the energy levels,  while acting as a mood stabilizer/developing equanimity. I find it very helpful as I enter my work day filled with lot of meetings and mental work. 

ZZ/taijiquan in the evenings helps sink the Qi that might have risen as a result of the work day, and brings the mind back to stillness and helps induce restful sleep. 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, dwai said:

Pranayama in the mornings helps balance and boost the energy levels,  while acting as a mood stabilizer/developing equanimity. I find it very helpful as I enter my work day filled with lot of meetings and mental work. 

Nice, what kind of pranayama do you do?

Cheers.

15 minutes ago, Bogge said:

Nice, what kind of pranayama do you do?

Cheers.

I practice Sudarshan Kriya Yoga which contains a sequence of pranayama. 

• Like 1

For the past two years, I have been practicing Wim Hoff breathing + bhastrika pranayam + kapala bhati pranayam (as taught by Vasant Lad) followed by ZZ.  Very positive results, no negatives. 

• Like 1