Sign in to follow this  
silent thunder

Calligraphy of Liu Fang Yuan

Headed up to Pasadena to take a covid test today to clear work for Monday.  Since I'll be in the neighborhood, I checked out what's going on at the Huntington Library, which is one of my most beloved LA hangouts.  The Chinese Garden, the Bonsai collection and the sprawling gardens are staggeringly beautiful all year round, but right now several sections are exploding with blooms.

And fortuitous timing!  It turns out, they're currently hosting a Garden of Words exhibit.  The Calligraphy of Liu Fang Yuan in addition to their permanent exhibits, (most of which are now opening up again).  I'll share a few pics later.

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing my friend, it seems an awesome exhibition. Do tell us your impression, anything you learn from those paintings for what you have learned in Daoism or other spiritual paths?

My impression of the calligraphy exhibit was deep adoration and respect.  The brushwork lyrical and mysterious.  Each of the buildings in the Chinese Garden had their main columns adorned with scrolls and then one building housed the main exhibit. 

Though really, the garden itself is an achievement beyond words.  There is nothing else like it, literally, being the largest Chinese Garden in the West.  Over a dozen buildings, pagodas, half dozen bridges, criss crossing the man made lake.  Talking Stones arranged around the walking paths all the buildings and bridges constructed in the traditional manner, with the most incredible craftsmanship.  I've been a professional wood worker for about 25 years.  The work is simply spectacular, awe inspiring. 

If anyone is ever in Southern California, add the Huntington Library to your must see list.   And with how often I'm there, you may catchIMG_2695.thumb.JPG.39721acc648fc455248f0d281d4827aa.JPGIMG_2351.thumb.JPG.d158c161fc795ed7b8f6e22cd675e5b4.JPG me enjoying tea on one of the balconies.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this