earth ~ black

fire ~ yellow 

water ~ blue

wind ~ jade green

thunder ~ red

lake ~ pink

mountain ~ dark green

======================================

so before starting my project I wanted to double check the colors online to make sure that they are the correct colors ~ 

but online everyone is using different colors 

Does anyone know what the correct colors are 

There are not really 'correct' colours - it depends on the source and era what colours are assigned to each trigram. The Shuogua chapter of the Ten Wings will give you some colour associations, but often the colours are also derived from the Wuxing connection with the trigrams. 

• Like 1

okay ~ I guess I'll stay with the colors I'm using now 

I got them from this Oracle  ~ I think it's ingenious how she made a picture for each trigram ~ also I don't even need to see a hexagram ~ all I need to see is what color is on top of what color in the yin yang symbol

there is a yin yang symbol at the top of each card

I guess that also means I have the freedom to assign my own colors if I want to  

xmGYfRZzLJQ.jpg?size=1002x1000&quality=9

here is an example of someone else using different colors 

Edited by Wuxia

1 hour ago, Wuxia said:

okay ~ I guess I'll stay with the colors I'm using now 

I would at least go with the traditional attributions from the I Ching.  Earth is yellow, Water is black, Fire is red.  The rest can be determined via seasonal associations of the trigrams.  Thunder is green -- Spring, etc..  

6 hours ago, Taomeow said:

I would at least go with the traditional attributions from the I Ching.  Earth is yellow, Water is black, Fire is red.  The rest can be determined via seasonal associations of the trigrams.  Thunder is green -- Spring, etc..  

I didn't know about that ~ I want to use the correct colors ~ I just don't know what they are ~ it would be nice if there were colors assigned originally so there won't be all of the confusion from everyone using different colors 

there should be a system already in place that is the same all over the world ~ ( I would think )

are you talking about this ? because it's not trigrams  ~ you would have to help me see the light because I am lost in the confusion of it all 

Wu_Xing.png

Edited by Wuxia

8 minutes ago, Wuxia said:

I didn't know about that ~ I want to use the correct colors ~ I just don't know what they are ~ it would be nice if there were colors assigned originally so there won't be all of the confusion from everyone using different colors 

there should be a system already in place that is the same all over the world ~ ( I would think )

are you talking about this ? because it's not trigrams 

Wu_Xing.png

I am talking about the I Ching, not wuxing -- it's just that in the case of the three trigrams I mentioned there's an overlap.  There's no tradition of representing the other five with a particular "correct" color, but it can be inferred to an extent from their places in the cosmic cycle of seasons they stand for, and their compass directions.  Water-North is black, the color of the "abyss,' of the fathomless depth and cold, and Fire-South is red, the color of ascending heat.  Earth is yellow because there's a long tradition of associating this color with the "golden mean," with balance and harmony -- in China, for thousands of years, only the emperor was allowed to wear the color yellow, which meant that he represents the whole land, the Middle Kingdom of earth -- implying its central position in civilization.  

For the rest, you may want to find out what seasons and compass directions are associated with each trigram and figure out what color to assign.  The purpose of such exercise can only be decorative though, because colors are particular vibrational frequencies inherently accompanying/linked to particular types of qi -- this is covered by wuxing associations -- while compass directions and seasons (moments in spacetime) of the trigrams are...  well...  colorless --

unless they partake of the palette supplied by the wuxing.  And it is a palette -- an interplay of energies.  Your Lake, e.g., is "pink" -- it's not impossible, under a certain light -- at dawn or at dusk -- but much of the time it's also "blue" or "azure" or "grey."  I for one wouldn't go with "pink" as my first choice -- unless I could formulate the reason for such choice.  If you can, you're good.  

• Like 3

jSpFCX_9WUA.jpg?size=387x388&quality=95&

ZjMrIaTkIpc.jpg?size=1280x956&quality=95

The above reference grid is one example of compass direction to trigram correspondences.

Below you’ll find two versions of the dial that are both referred to as the Later Heaven Ba Gua, but feature different trigram arrangements, and therefore will align differently to the compass directions than what you see up top.

ex5zH1NNZMw.jpg?size=1500x715&quality=95

Yes, there are different versions of the “Later Heaven Ba Gua.” Different traditions practice differently is the shortest explanation I have for that.

Edited by Wuxia

so you use different baguas for different purposes 

so I guess the colors would keep changing ~ I really don't know what to think about it 

I just like being able to read the hexagrams from the taiji symbol with the colors assigned to the trigrams 

Sign in to follow this