Sign in to follow this  
Encephalon

USAF ends firing range near Buddhist Monastery

https://religionnews.com/2021/03/19/us-air-force-pulls-firing-range-near-a-scottish-buddhist-monastery/

Seems like a reasonable idea.

The Air Force said it was “unaware of concerns from the local community,” according to Capt. Kevyn Kaler, spokeswoman for the 352nd Special Operations Wing, in a news release on Wednesday (March 17).

Ignorance is an often abused excuse for certain behaviors. One would think that assessing the local social environment with a focused measure of awareness would be naturally mandated.  I'm almost embarrassed for the Air Force appearing so haplessly clueless in this regard.

• Like 2

Sadly the US and many of her citizens are, or claim to be, unaware of the profound damage we've done and continue to do to our neighbors on Earth.

• Like 1

I will add it is true of citizens of many countries. In my limited experience it seems to be a widely shared by many people. Sadly too many people...

• Like 2

The "unawareness" excuse gets regularly abused, but I could accept the explanation on face value from people who are truly incapable or merely unschooled in the practice of holding multiple viewpoints in mind, much less simultaneously.  I'm reading "Earth in Mind: On Education, Environment, and the Human Prospect" by David W. Orr and it's pretty clear that enlightened reasoning, particularly an ecological consciousness, is not only absent in the minds of some folks, but it's almost entirely missing from the American educational model, despite environmental science programs becoming more widespread.

It's damned inconvenient too; as Aldo Leopold once wrote, "To live  with an ecological education is to live in a world of wounds."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this