Maddie

Christianity

11 hours ago, helpfuldemon said:

Of course there were other Gods, the world and history was full of them.

Within a Jewish context, this is what Jesus builds on in John 10:34 when he cites Psalm 82, a psalm which shows the lesser gods being punished by the greater God for failing and letting the world fall into evil. This is also looking back to Deuteronomy 32:7-9 in its oldest form that we know of, which refers to a time long ago when the "supreme" God divided the world among his divine sons, aka, the lesser gods.  

So Jesus, when accused of making himself to be a god, makes the counterpoint: doesn't the Scripture already affirm there are a plurality of beings called gods (John 10:35)? Jesus then adds to the argument "if they, those lesser gods that fell (a common Jewish idea prior to, during, and a little after the first century), are still called gods, then how is it considered blasphemy when I, who was consecrated and sent by the Father and perfectly follows his will, call myself the Son of God?" 

AFAIK, there are a few factors to why John 10:34 and Psalm 82 were both later interpreted as referring to human beings as gods, but one of the main ones is that many Pastors and Rabbis felt that affirming other supernatural gods within their own religious texts was problematic in light of monotheism. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 1:45 PM, dmattwads said:

So why are you discussing it here?

well its 3 pages now and it appears like some things needed said....mostly by others.

Its Sunday and I am going to church.

I received my book from Mount Athos and its  great. I will be back to apply information. highlighted if necessary.

on page 66 

(todays Prosphora is offered by my mother and I)

will be working on that for better next time

Edited by sagebrush

I have been wondering if the sacraments have any actual energetic efficacy or if they are just a ritual?