skyblue

Feet squared

Is squaring the feet, getting them parallel necessary in the various qigong and yoga Practices? I feel that my hips are more outwardly, so I have to do a slight internal rotation to get my feet completely parallel to each other. This is not the most comfortable posture, and makes my body more destabilised than normal. Should I keep doing this or is it ok to keep them slightly branching away from each other?

Don't square them for anything unless you have a condition known as pigeon toes in-or toeing, which causes the toes to point inward.  In such cases squaring the feet is a corrective maneuver.  For everybody else, turning them slightly outward is anatomically and energetically correct.

For long periods of standing, turning the feet in and turning the feet out create specific energetic effects, for "wuji" - neutral, they should be forward. Nothing should be forced, or the tension could go up into you knees, so if your feet tend to go out, there needs to be a lengthening/relaxing of the muscles responsible for that action (back and sides of hips), and possibly more engagement of the muscles on the inside of the thighs and pelvis. This can be trained through stretching, then it can be put into your standing safely. 

• Like 1