Sign in to follow this  
cloud recluse

Whence Adyashanti

Greetings all :)

Been in 'Recluse mode' for a while now ( wont bore you with the reasons, but they are all good ) & just thought Id drop in to satisfy my idle curiosity.

Well, perhaps not so idle...

Anyhow, a few people here are / were quite experienced with Adyashanti a while back , & I was just wondering what their asesments were ? What the pro's & con's were ? Did anyone come to any conclusions ? Does anyone have any ongoing involvement ?

Regards, Cloud :)

I was pretty into Adya as well as other teachers along the "advaita" stream. Going to satsangs etc.

I basically feel like I got hit by a train after I met Lama Dorje and have trouble even remembering other teachers I studied with or my experience with them now though :lol:

I've been heavily involved with Adya's teachings for the better part of two years.

His is a teaching to end the search with, but only if you are sincerely drawn to this end (and beginning). It isn't about him. Its about us and what drives us.

My experience, anyway.

Since your in Australia you can also check out Sailor Bob. Student of Sri Nisragardatta(sp?) I think him and Adya are pointing to the same thing.

Better hurry though he is getting old!

Maybe a better question would be--- how have these teachers impacted your life?

Well, as long as I can remember there has been a movement within me. This is not special, since it is in everyone. I recognized it, but I was afraid to live in accordance with it. Most of society seems to be telling me that this is not the right way to go; this is not the normal way to go. The feeling that arises when I follow that movement is of rightness, and of inevitability, but I did doubt when I could not find the reflections I was looking for in those around me.

The biggest impact of my involvement with Adya and his teachings, is that I found a voice and a being that encourages that inherent movement within me. It seems impossible, since it is a movement to something that no words or thoughts can touch. He points the way, and I do enjoy looking, dropping the looking and being what sees. It is difficult at times, since the world does not begin to change until well after we have left parts of it behind. Also, to reach the place before thought, we must let go of attachment to thought, which involves letting thought play havoc until it crumbles. It is just thought though, and to those who are willing to stay the course, it is very interesting what arises from the nothingness.

There are many pitfalls, but Adya has been a capable guide. None of it would have amounted to anything without my sincerity, however. I have tremendous difficultly imagining teaching what is revealed, since every thought leads us away. And it isn't even the thought, it is the identification with thought. The noticing seems to happen at first when thought stops and something remains. What is that?

Probably the main thing I learned is the foundation of the meditation he teaches. To let everything be as it is. Beyond right and wrong and human confusion and suffering there seems to be this realm of resting, or abiding, the simple teaching I remember Adya bring up alot was to "stop". Sailor Bob says "full stop".

My limited understanding of this is to allow your whole train of ego to come to a full stop and allowed to be. Stop fighting reality etc.

I don't think I plumeted the depths with Adya. I went pretty deep with another female teacher of the same strain of teaching. I was going pretty deep with that, but switched gears studying with another teacher which I feel has set me on another interesting type of course.

Adya sells copies of his retreats on his site, best thing to do would be get a copy of a retreat if your intrested, there only a fraction of the cost of going to a retreat and give you a good glimpse into his teaching.

Sign in to follow this