themjay

Dr Wilson Yong?

I don’t want to be the guy who speaks ill of people i have no assessment of but i’d offer this as a comment from a nobody:

”Printed talismans for sale” alone makes me want to suggest caution.

But then again my go to suggestion is usually somewhere along the lines of this:

”Well, be cautious and mind this thing and its opposite. In the end, who knows but those who go for a looksee? Did i say be cautious?”

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, themjay said:

A daobums search reveals a couple of broadly positive comments over the years, but you can’t get more overt criticism than this site:

https://wilsonyongtaoism.wordpress.com/

No idea about the first site, but in my very humble >>opinion<<, that second site, "review site", is not quite independent, but the "Our circles" page clearly hints what is it all about ("business competition"). From the little I remember of writings of that other guy running websites in "our circle", I wouldn't be surprised if it was his own creation. 

Edited by Leif

I wouldn't give the critical blog any credence- that person obviously has a grudge going well beyond any legitimate concerns. And it is not unusual for talismans to be sold by Daoist temples. That said the Taoistsecret website does have a pretty glossy, commercial flavor to it, centered around selling products and books. That makes me suspect the guy is looking to make money, at least as much as he is looking to enlighten . Also, based on the web-content, which is full of grammar errors and oddities (e.g. referring to Laozi and Zhuangzi as "fundamentalists") I can bet that the books he's selling are going to be a chore to read for English readers.