thelerner

The eight winds

master Hsuan hsua-

"The eight winds blow but do not move me."

What are the eight winds? They are praise, blame, suffering, bliss, gain, loss, slander, and good reputation. If it happens that when one is blown by the eight winds one's mind is shaken, then that's a case of your foundation not having been well laid. What is it that we refer to as the foundation? It's just virtuous conduct. If one's virtuous conduct is insufficient then one's anger is very great and one's ignorance is extremely heavy. If one possesses virtuous conduct then there is no anger at all and ignorance has been transformed. It's been transformed into wisdom. Therefore, when we cultivate it's necessary to nurture virtuous conduct. (p.140)

personally I'm ok with bliss, gain and good reputation.  And would be willing to set my sail by them.  course I am no master. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, thelerner said:

personally I'm ok with bliss, gain and good reputation.  And would be willing to set my sail by them.  course I am no master. 

😄

I think society runs on all the things spiritual cultivation tries to bring to equanimity...

Spiritual cultivation is for the very few.

But you can still be a master - just not of spirituality. You can still be a good person. You can still lead a very worthwhile life - be kind, generous, considerate etc - without spiritual practice!

too many people think of spiritual practice as something to support their life and identity - but true spiritual cultivation does exactly the opposite.

• Like 4

In the Hindu tradition we have four pillars of humanly attainments. Dharma, Artha, Kama and Moksha. 

Dharma is the way of being in harmony with nature, and upholding the natural order of the universe. 

Artha is the pursuit of value — things that provide value (including wealth).

Kama is the experience of the senses - including sexual fulfillment. 

Moksha is the attainment of liberation from the bondages of worldly life — namely craving and revulsion. 

When Artha and Kama are viewed with the context of dharma, they will help us attain moksha. Following dharma, the individual experiences the ups and downs of life, without any attachment or revulsion to what happens. Eventually when there arises perfect detachment, moksha is attained.

The 8 winds are called the four thieves  - kama, krodha, lobha and Moha. 

Here kama is Lust (for anything), Krodha is anger, lobha is greed (wanting beyond what is needed), and moha is delusion (being enthralled by transitory phenomena).

By following dharma, when one participated in samsara in the fields of Artha and Kama, the four thieves cannot rob them of their peace of mind. And little by little the four thieves become completely powerless. 

• Like 2