Marcus

Master....what master ?

3 hours ago, Rocky Lionmouth said:

The only real gate-being i know of is Yog Sothot, who is the gate, commands the gate, lurks beyond the gate and is also the key to the gate. But thats Lovecraft lore which fascinates me somewhat, without any true spiritual connection for me.

This is a followup to the post above: Thanks I am not disappointed, this description of Yog Sothoth sounds just like a stylized description of a gatekeeper, by one who was/is overly impressed by their fancy lingo and title in my experience: (gate keepers tend to be full of themselves, with tricks, puzzles, and misdirections glore).

I'll check it out: IMO this love craft person somehow had a real experience(s) and then he let his imagination get the best of him, or he wrote a bunch of fiction mixed with some truth.

• Like 1

@mrpasserby

Agreed, and good i didn’t dissappoint.

Don’t be fooled by Lovecrafts solid mythos, it’s been expanded on and fleshed out by others.

Lovecraft was at heart a troubled aristocrat who tried to express his fear and xenophobia, just like our contemporary fearmongers his metaphors and ideas were left very open to interpretation and adaptation. Lovecraft loved convoluted language, bragging and dragging fairly easy sentences out to unfathomable lenght. His pen did much to convey his own emotions regarding change and the unknown.

For me reading his stuff its fairly easy to shift his semipolitical fiction of conservatism and dangers of exotic cultural influences to barescraped cosmic horror and a fascinating mythology, and i like the hopelessness of humanity set against the scale of cosmic events older than most can immagine, it seems fitting in who and what we are to the rest of it all.

But you can also interpret it as an emotional foundation for right-wing populist bullshit to use as inspirational ideology and propaganda. He writes in a way that appeals to those who always seek to reinforce and justify their feelings of smallness, lonliness and isolation. It is also very comforting for depressed states and chronic anxiety, reading about terrors far beyond the scale of any human conception.

He was alive during an ear of spiritualism and spiritism that still influences eurocentric terminology and ideas and a true fanboy of Edgar Allan Poe, his use of tropes and archetypes is masterful and it speaks in a way that makes it appear as based on legit occult knowledge and experience but was rather sourced from prejudice flourishing in well mannered, christian upper middle class. He was obsessed with bloodline, purity, haughty tradition and felt very alone in his intelligence, which by closer scrutiny was pretty exaggerated in his own perception.

Nevertheless, he wrote some dope shit and seeded a whole universe of mystery and dangers, well worth reading as entertainment and distraction!

In my humble opinion, of course!

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
  • Like 1

Rocky Lionmouth'Balemm is new to me, is he derivative of Baal somehow?'

Thanks for all the good info. and insights into lovecraft. 

In what I have red it is not clear to my understanding if Balemm was directly related to Baal, but I read somewhere that there were reportedly 3 gods in the region and there is likely a connection. My point was that there are mages who stand up to gods, and even though they get whooped, they can also gain respect (if they survive), IMO and be known as master (of self).:)

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, mrpasserby said:

Rocky Lionmouth'Balemm is new to me, is he derivative of Baal somehow?'

Thanks for all the good info. and insights into lovecraft. 

In what I have red it is not clear to my understanding if Balemm was directly related to Baal, but I read somewhere that there were reportedly 3 gods in the region and there is likely a connection. My point was that there are mages who stand up to gods, and even though they get whooped, they can also gain respect (if they survive), IMO and be known as master (of self).:)

Aha, cool, thanks! I’ll look into Balemm, sounds like an interesting figure.

Yes, those that stand up to Gods usually pique my interest and fancy. Like good old Monkey AKA Sun Wu Kong, i like his voyage of defiance and reluctant atonement.

• Like 1