Luminous Being

How to store Qi during winter time practicing embryonic breathing and small circulation/ microcosmic orbit teached by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming

Hi all,

I'm a qigong practitioner and I'm practicing the embryonic breathing meditation since several years learned by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming books and videos.

Since few months I've started to practice the small circulation or microcosmic orbit, but I've the following doubt:

I know that in winter time it is recommended to increase the Yang side of our energy in order to strenghten the immune system. Using embryonic breathing in practice you have to exhale longer than inhale. But to start to circulate the Qi in the microcosmic orbit or small circulation you need enough Qi stored in your abdomen (Dan Tian). Sometimes I feel lack of Qi in my abdomen and body, very likely because I've not stored enough Qi during spring and summer. 

So, is it possible to store the Qi also in winter time without weakening the immune system? Can you suggest if it is possible to practice the embryonic breathing to store the Qi also in winter time without getting sick (becoming too Yin)? If you know other kinds of practice/excercise to store the Qi in winter time in order to circulate it with Microcosmic orbit please share it with me.

I hope to have been quite clear :)

If you have comments, suggestions or observations about my question please feel free to respond.

A warm thanks!

To be honest and probably not something you'd like to read:

"Stop wasting your time with this."

Better methods that actually work and will open your 'eyes.'

1. Find a real life teacher whose main motivation is not to promote themselves but to genuinely help fellow human beings.

2. Method: an Internal Martial Art, Bagua or Xingyi preferably. Alternatively Buddhist Vipassana that includes walking meditation. However this last method works better in a retreat environment. The longer the retreat, the better.

Good luck! :)

• Like 1

i don’t like the MCO. I had my former kung fu teacher show it to me, and it never felt quite right. 

It is always open or you'll be a dead man. :)

In our school, please read my teacher's uncle view on this, the way  I learnt Bagua and Taoism as a natural result of correct practice: with effort, with my FEET and fully immersed in the natural world, the best teacher of all teachers:

Internal Intent

Edited by Gerard

I'm a follower of Dr. Yang as well. My understanding is that you store qi in the winter time just by bundling up and staying warm, and regulating your sexual activities to a minimum. I live without heating, and so when (not very often in the winter) I do still qigong I'll pile blankets on top of me.

Also, doing the orbits, by themselves, helps to build up qi.  So, just keep doing it and you'll get it.

On 14/1/2019 at 10:55 PM, Gerard said:

To be honest and probably not something you'd like to read:

"Stop wasting your time with this."

Better methods that actually work and will open your 'eyes.'

1. Find a real life teacher whose main motivation is not to promote themselves but to genuinely help fellow human beings.

2. Method: an Internal Martial Art, Bagua or Xingyi preferably. Alternatively Buddhist Vipassana that includes walking meditation. However this last method works better in a retreat environment. The longer the retreat, the better.

Good luck! :)

Thanks a lot Gerard for your reply.

Actually I do have a real teacher for kung fu and meditation.

I'm always interested in experimenting new ways and practices so I have discovered Dr. Yang and I liked him so much.

Anyway I will search for what you suggest. "Internal Martial Art, Bagua or Xingyi".

Do you have books, websites or videos to suggest in order to have a better idea about those?

Thanks!

On 15/1/2019 at 12:56 AM, Fa Xin said:

i don’t like the MCO. I had my former kung fu teacher show it to me, and it never felt quite right. 

Thank Fa Xin! Are you now practicing other exercises to circulate the inner energy as alternative to MCO?

On 21/1/2019 at 5:21 AM, TigerJin said:

I'm a follower of Dr. Yang as well. My understanding is that you store qi in the winter time just by bundling up and staying warm, and regulating your sexual activities to a minimum. I live without heating, and so when (not very often in the winter) I do still qigong I'll pile blankets on top of me.

Also, doing the orbits, by themselves, helps to build up qi.  So, just keep doing it and you'll get it.

Thanks a lot TigerJin to have shared your personal experience!

Are you able to practice the complete MCO?

Have you learned only by Dr. Yang or have you used other teachings 

too?

Thanks

6 hours ago, Luminous Being said:

Thank Fa Xin! Are you now practicing other exercises to circulate the inner energy as alternative to MCO?

Yes I do work with energy, just not like the MCO. I prefer to let the energy circulate by itself, without me consciously directing it or forcing it to move a certain way. 

On 21/1/2019 at 5:21 AM, TigerJin said:

Hi again

I would like to suggest Wim Hof method to face up to the winter without heating. I'm trying his method and I think it is very effective. Here the link https://www.wimhofmethod.com

Let me know what do you think.

On 1/14/2019 at 9:21 AM, Luminous Being said:

to store the Qi also in winter time without getting sick (becoming too Yin)?

What "substance" is it that you will be storing?

How?

Is Qi Yin, or Yang?

What is Qi that you can store it, and how is it that storing Qi could make you become too "Yin"?

-VonKrankenhaus

On 23/01/2019 at 4:35 PM, Luminous Being said:

1. Thanks a lot Gerard for your reply.

2. Do you have books, websites or videos to suggest in order to have a better idea about those?

3. Thanks!

1. You are most welcome.

2. The best way to understand yourself (because this is deep down what this is all about) is by learning from a teacher who has spent many years dedicated to their art. One only. You have to excel in one thing, that's a sign of someone who you can trust as a good teacher.

He Jinghan is a Bagua teacher I can vouch for:

https://m.youtube.com/user/hejinghan/videos (start from the very bottom of the video list).

3. Thanks to you! And good luck. ;)