s1va

The importance of right company or who we associate with

Bhaja Govindam - Verse 9

Satsangatve Nissangatvam 

Nihsangatve Nirmohatvam

Nirmohatve Niscalatattvam 

Niscalatattve Jivanmuktih

Translation:

Through the company of the good, there arises non-attachment; through non-attachment there arises freedom from delusion; when there is freedom from delusion, there is the Immutable Reality; on experiencing Immutable Reality, there comes the state of ‘liberated –in-life.’

Bhaja Govindam is one of many beautiful poems composed by Adi Shankara.  There are very few who had an unparalleled mastery over the Sanskrit language like Shankara.  Words just seem to flow in a rythm in these compositions.

This verse states, being in the company of the right people, one's that are empowered and realized (satsanga), can lead to nissangatva, a state where there are no attachments are desires.  It's just like a ladder with steps.  The first step in this ladder is the right company.  When we are in the company of empowered and truly realized masters, we slowly transform and become empowered ourselves.  Our clarity increases in the company of the right people, our desires and attachments fall away.  This frees us from the clutches of Maya, and further leads us to the true state of liberation.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, s1va said:

Bhaja Govindam is one of many beautiful poems composed by Adi Shankara.  There are very few who had an unparalleled mastery over the Sanskrit language like Shankara.  Words just seem to flow in a rythm in these compositions.

This verse states, being in the company of the right people, one's that are empowered and realized (satsanga), can lead to nissangatva, a state where there are no attachments are desires.  It's just like a ladder with steps.  The first step in this ladder is the right company.  When we are in the company of empowered and truly realized masters, we slowly transform and become empowered ourselves.  Our clarity increases in the company of the right people, our desires and attachments fall away.  This frees us from the clutches of Maya, and further leads us to the true state of liberation.

that is the easy side of the equation....the other side is real test and proof, namely to be in the direct presence of negative forces and transmute them to Dharma truths.   

Edited by 3bob

3 hours ago, 3bob said:

that is the easy side of the equation....the other side is real test and proof, namely to be in the direct presence of negative forces and transmute them to Dharma truths.   

When we solve one side of the equation, the other side solves automatically, or it starts to make sense and we understand essentially both sides are the same.

Brahman is beyond good and evil, positive and negative, is it not?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, s1va said:

When we solve one side of the equation, the other side solves automatically, or it starts to make sense and we understand essentially both sides are the same.

Brahman is beyond good and evil, positive and negative, is it not?

idealistic thinking about the ideal has its place,  but in the mean time there is a war going on with many who are being crushed while warriors do all they can to stem the dark tide... for instance Gandhi had one side solved but that did not automatically solve the other side although it did impact it for a nation and its people!

Edited by 3bob

I'm in total awe of the process he's describing. His words and your description, @s1va, speak to me of Guru Yoga. 

Adi Shankara's words are pretty beautiful too. 

A couple of thoughts that come to mind...It's extraordinary how the presence of realization quite literally pulls the seeker into itself. At the same time, the seeker is absolutely responsible for their own growth. Far out! Thanks for sharing, s1va. 

EDIT: my apologies s1va - I originally called out and thanked neti neti as the one who created this thread. :blush:

Edited by Rishi Das
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Rishi Das said:

I'm in total awe of the process he's describing. His words and your description, @s1va, speak to me of Guru Yoga. 

Adi Shankara's words are pretty beautiful too. 

A couple of thoughts that come to mind...It's extraordinary how the presence of realization quite literally pulls the seeker into itself. At the same time, the seeker is absolutely responsible for their own growth. Far out! Thanks for sharing, s1va. 

EDIT: my apologies s1va - I originally called out and thanked neti neti as the one who created this thread. :blush:

Hi Rishi Das, glad you liked the post.  Yes, I think it is Guru yoga.  No issues in thanking neti neti, we are all friends here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, s1va said:

Hi Rishi Das, glad you liked the post.  Yes, I think it is Guru yoga.  No issues in thanking neti neti, we are all friends here.

There's nothing like noble company.

• Like 1

Here is another beautiful verse from Bhaja Govindam that directly talks about Guru.  I think this is the last verse of this poem/song.  

I am going to share some other verses I like from Bhaja Govindam.  Anyone else wants to share or add a verse please feel free to do so.

Raga : Sindhu Bhairavi

गुरुचरणाम्बुज निर्भर भक्तः संसारादचिराद्भव मुक्तः ।
सेन्द्रियमानस नियमादेवं द्रक्ष्यसि निज हृदयस्थं देवम् ॥ ३१ ॥

gurucharaNambuja nirbhara bhaktah sa.msArAdachirAdbhava muktah
sEndriyamAnasa niyamAdEvam drashyasi nija hRdayastham dEvam
 ॥ 31 ॥

The devotee (bhakta) who relies on (nirbhara) on the lotus-feet (charaNa ambuja) of the Guru is soon (achirat) liberated (mukta) from being (bhava) in this cycle of worldly existence (sa.msAra). Indeed (Eva), with restraint/control (niyamat) of his senses (indriya) with (sa) his mind (mAnasa), he sees (drashyasi) the God (dEva) who is in his own (nija) heart (hRdayasTHa).

20 hours ago, s1va said:

Here is another beautiful verse from Bhaja Govindam...

OP introduced me to the Bhaja Govindam. Beautiful text. Thanks for sharing more of it. 

I enjoyed this brief story about it's composition, which I pulled from Wikipedia. Thought it was worth sharing here. 

"There is a story attached to the composition of this Hymn. It is said that Shri Adi Shankaracharya, accompanied by his disciples, was walking along a street in Varanasi one day when he came across an aged scholar reciting the rules of Sanskrit grammar repeatedly on the street. Taking pity on him, Adi Shankara went up to the scholar and advised him not to waste his time on grammar at his age but to turn his mind to God in worship and adoration, which would only save him from this vicious cycle of life and death. The hymn "Bhaja Govindam" is said to have been composed on this occasion.

The composition consists of thirty-three verses. Besides the refrain of the song beginning with the words "Bhaja Govindam", Shankaracharya is said to have sung twelve other verses. Hence, the hymn bears the title "Dvadasamanjarika-Stotra" (A hymn which is a bunch of twelve verse-blossoms). The fourteen disciples who were with the Master on that occasion are believed to have added one verse each. These fourteen verses are together called "Chaturdasa-manjarika-Stotra" (a hymn consisting of fourteen verse-blossoms)."

Sadgurunath Maharaj Ki Jai! 

• Like 1

Here is another verse I like.   Again death, again birth and a stay in another mother's womb, all of the worldly experience is referred as suffering that is difficult to endure.  Shankara is appealing to the divine in this verse for compassion to break this cycle of samsara.

Raga : Kapi

पुनरपि जननं पुनरपि मरणं पुनरपि जननी जठरे शयनम् ।
इह संसारे बहुदुस्तारे कृपयाऽपारे पाहि मुरारे ॥ २१ ॥

punarapi jananam punarapi maraNam punarapi jananI jaTHarE shayanam
iha sa.msArE bahudustArE kRpayA’pArE pAhi murArE ॥ 21 ॥

Once again (punarapi) birth (jananam), once again (punarapi) death (maraNam), once again (punarapi) lying down (shayanam) in the womb (jaTHara) of a mother (jananI)….in this (iha) world (sa.msArE) which is so much (bahu) difficult to endure (dustAra), with boundless (apAra) compassion (kRpA), protect me (pAhi) O Krishna (murArE) !