wandelaar

Old translations - how useful are they?

16 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I'm glad you stayed with Giles.

I don't know the other one so I can't speak to it.

I went back and read the introduction of the second link.  Seems that it might be a good read in order to gain an alternate perspective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wandelaar said:

there are (only) two that add something substantial to the modern ones I already bought:

So, it would seem that you have answered the question posed in your original post ... you have found value in at least two older translations. Great! I hope you enjoy them and that find them as useful as they promise.

It would be nice if you could report occasionally on your impressions.

I have had some exposure to the Giles translation in the past and came away somewhat neutral toward it ... neither impressed or turned away. 

The second book, however ... Bryce / Wieger ... I find intriguing, having read through some sample pages. For one, its choice of words and use of language seems different than typical translations. Not sure why but seems like worth exploring. It seems to evoke different images in the mind.

Also, I found the appendices very interesting. I like the technic of providing alternative writings relative to the main object of translations. They often expand the understanding of key concepts. I have had a growing interest in Kuan Yin Tzu. What exactly is his place in Daoism? Seems he is more than just the border guard. Here and in other references he almost seems to be given parity with Lao Tzu, which might reflect on the true place of Lao Tzu in Daoism.

I think I may have to acquire the Bryce / Wieger translation as well. 

Thanks for the lead.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OldDog said:

The second book, however ... Bryce / Wieger ... I find intriguing, having read through some sample pages. For one, its choice of words and use of language seems different than typical translations. Not sure why but seems like worth exploring. It seems to evoke different images in the mind.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Léon_Wieger  Besides, France had a strong tradition in sinology of its own:

32.png.1e7f79c62fed921f13d33f750fd03ce2.png33.png.282632625e0c9cd030a6f3e06a080154.png

Source: Harriet Thelma Zurndorfer: China Bibliography: A Research Guide to Reference Works About China Past and ... .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wandelaar said:

Besides, France had a strong tradition in sinology of its own:

Yes, that was a surprise. I ran across the same information you cited ... you knew I would, wanting to understand the perspective of Bryce and Wieger before committing to acquire their translation. But I was unaware of the scope of French efforts. It almost seemed like sinology was the domain of German and English researchers, clearly a naive assumption.

What I found curious was that Wieger made his way to China circuitously by way of the Army, medicine and ultimately the Society of Jesus in such a short period of time ... then, having gotten to China, spent the remainder of his life there. That there had been such a long history of Jesuit misssion ... and scholarship ... in China, made me wonder if Wieger's joining the society wasn't a means to an end. 

• Like 2