ernobe

Practical alchemy apology

On 10/13/2018 at 6:17 AM, Unicorn said:

Dividing reality into three planes or realms is a core concept that in itself is older than any of the traditions.

Here is my take:

The One first split into Two. Let's call these Yin and Yang for now.

Then the Two split (or re-combined, based on how you look at it) into Three. These are the three main states of energy:

- Yang + Yang = Static or dormant power. Mind. Knowledge. The mountain.
- Yin + Yang = Volatile energy. Soul. Emotion. Action. Ego. The wind or river.
- Yin + Yin = Dense energy. Lifeless without being moved. Matter. Body. The lake.

The mind sets the goal. The soul sets it in motion. The body realizes it*. But in order for a perfect transmutation of idea to reality through controlled action the Three must be in harmony, and for the Three to be in harmony the Two must also be in harmony.

*It appears this corresponds with Tibetan Buddhism's terms of Ground ( གཞི ), Path ( ལམ ) and Fruition ( འབྲས ).

There are triads everywhere, of course :) my current understanding is that the tripartite state is a condition that arises when a binary is in transition. I.e., the soul arises only betwixt the states of body and spirit or in your example (if I understand correctly), the visible world and the invisible world, this goes around the typical understanding of an emanational/vibrational view, but it is what practical work as presented to me. A cell divides by twos not threes, but while it is dividing a third state arises and dissipates. In this way what occurs during lab work proves which spiritual philosophies are true and which are false, so the work aids us in understanding lofty terms like soul and spirit. In this way Nature is the ultimate arbiter and guide of which philosophies are correct and which are incorrect, it can even aid us in understanding creation. So if we start with one natural subject, not adding rectified ethanol, yeast or any foreign elements,  like an orange (naturally occurring sugars), and let the orange decompose in a sealed vessel, I am left with a liquid and a mush of matter. If I heat that up and distill of the liquid I now have the matter in the first vessel and the liquid  in the receiving flask. Now I can break this initial duality into two additional dualities, leaving me with the four classical greek elements. I left out the Fifth Element here because that is a whole other discussion, and I dont understand it practically yet. 

There is a quote I like from an alchemist named Bonus, found in the New Pearl of a Great Price as follows, “It (Alchemy) truly instructs us how to know the one substance truly designed by Nature for a specific purpose, and it also acquaints with the natural method of treating and manipulating this substance...before we know how to do a thing, we must understand all conditions and circumstances under which it is produced.

Here is an article on the relations between Kabbalah and Alchemy if anyone else is interested in the earlier discussion. They don't seem to have a very savory view of alchemy, lol. 

Alchemy and the *Kabbalah were closely linked in the Middle Ages. A kabbalistic outline is found in the early alchemist manuscript of Saint Mark (11th century) called Solomon's Labyrinth. The wandering German alchemist, Salomon Trismosin, boasted that he drew his knowledge from kabbalistic writings which had been translated into Arabic. His great disciple, Paracelsus, maintained that expert knowledge of Kabbalah was an essential prerequisite for studying alchemy. However, neither he nor his master had more than a superficial knowledge of the Kabbalah, if any at all, although both talked about it a great deal. Paracelsus even based his strange theories on it, i.e., that of the creation of a *golem, a homunculus, through alchemy. The lesser Christian alchemists, especially the religious ones, following his example, also tended to make use of the Kabbalah for their purposes, though most had no knowledge of it. When, at the beginning of the 17thcentury, alchemy took a religious, mystical turn (in particular with the rise of the Rosicrucians), the prestige and influence of the Kabbalah became even more widespread; alchemy and Kabbalah became synonymous among Christians. This identification was generally speaking groundless. While many kabbalists undoubtedly accepted alchemy as a fact, the interests and symbol systems of Kabbalah and alchemy respectively were utterly different. Nevertheless occasional – albeit relatively insignifican – mutual influences are evident, and traces of alchemical lore are to be found in the *Zohar. 

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/alchemy

Edited by noonespecial
Clarity

On 10/27/2018 at 10:20 AM, Unicorn said:

And thus I said that alchemy in its purest form is a set of principles because I think you can meditate in a cave or work in a lab and still acquire the same higher understanding of creation through these different means.

That's conjecture. You can sit in a cave for 100 years and not acquire the same understanding that a practical alchemist develops through his work in the lab.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge the ancient Chinese practical alchemists also based their lab work on daoist principles, which means there is direct connection between daoist inner alchemy and practical alchemy.

The Chinese alchemists weren't known for their success in alchemy. As I recall, the vast majority of them ended up poisoning themselves and the ones that didn't are mere legends (ie: invented). In contrast, we have genuine proof of successful transmutations in the western historical records and even physical proof sitting in a European museum.

And Eastern alchemy is the grandfather of Western alchemy.

I'm not aware of a single shred of evidence which supports this.

UFA