Lost in Translation

Contracts, Compacts and Other Agreements

In Moorcock's books about the fictional emperor Elric, the protagonist commanded the elemental forces due to an age old compact with his family line. The hero did not compel entities to obey, rather they chose to obey out of commitments previously agreed to. 

How realistic is this scenario? Is this really how such arrangements are formed or do entities respond solely upon the imposition of power?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

In Moorcock's books about the fictional emperor Elric, the protagonist commanded the elemental forces due to an age old compact with his family line. The hero did not compel entities to obey, rather they chose to obey out of commitments previously agreed to. 

How realistic is this scenario? Is this really how such arrangements are formed or do entities respond solely upon the imposition of power?

There is a standard 'compact'   already .  Just that most do not know about it.   But it is good to arrange a specific one for your own specific relationships.   But how to do it with an 'elemental force'  - seems vague, for some, so they contract with the 'King' (or Queen) of the element ;'

By the brood of the Bysses of Brightening,
whose God was my sire;
By the Lord of the Flame and the Lightning,
the King of the Spirits of Fire
By the Lord of the Waves and the Waters,
the King of the Hosts of the Sea,
The fairest of all of whose daughters was mother to me;
By the Lord of the Winds and the Breezes,
the King of the Spirits of Air,
In whose bosom the infinite ease is that cradled me there;
By the Lord of the Fields and the Mountains,
the King of the Spirits of Earth
That nurtured my life at his fountains
from the hour of my birth;

Many things, including this, can be operated by the method of imposition  power, but there are much better ways .

Think of how some relate to horses and dogs  - some use cruel and overpowering methods and punishment , some use  persuasion, love and reward.

A very   wild and dangerous , horse dog  or 'elemental force'  may need power to control it.   Then again  , it depends on your skill.

• Thanks 1