wandelaar

Concordance of the Chuang tzu

Is there an English language concordance of the Chuang tzu in book  form? And I mean one that can be used by someone (like myself) who doesn't know the Chinese language. I have read the Chuang tzu and remember all kind of stories from the book, but I can't remember where in the book I read them. So it would be nice to have a concordance to look up where in the text what can be found.

I too have looked for such a reference. Too no avail. I think what I am going to do is obtain Burton Watson's Complete Works of Zhuangzi as an ebook, probably from Amazon. Then I can use the reader search function to quickly locate key words, phases, names. Not a scholarly concordance but would suffice.

Only thing is I balked when Marblehead started posting from Mair's translation, which I have come to like. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OldDog said:

I think what I am going to do is obtain Burton Watson's Complete Works of Zhuangzi as an ebook, probably from Amazon. Then I can use the reader search function to quickly locate key words, phases, names. Not a scholarly concordance but would suffice.

That book already has an index of 19 pages that you could use as long as we don't have a concordance. 

But if you want to go digital you could also use this site: https://ctext.org/tools/concordance/ens

• Like 1

Thanks, Wandelaar. You seem to have a real knack for ferreting out these pdfs. I am looking forward to this ine.

I started out this year with intent to accomplish some things I have long had interest in. Zhuangzi was not one of them. But thanks to this site, in particular Marblehead's posts, I diverted to a more in depth reading of Zhuangzi. It's been quite enjoyable. 

Thanks again.

• Like 2

Started reading the pdf of Mair's notes on his Chuang Tzu translation referred by Wandelaar ... fairly interesting ... providing perspective on Mair's work ... methods, ideas, point of view.

He makes a point of referring to the "Old Masters (LaoTzu)" influence on the writings in Chuang Tzu ... this in light of setting context of the various schools of thought stirring at the time.

The way he turned the phrase "Old Masters (Lao Tzu)" called to mind the discussions about who were the writers of the TTC ... an argument for multiple authors ... without regard to the legendary journey to the west.

So, the question that came to mind was ... What exactly does Lao Tzu mean? I get that Lao typically translates as old ...but I believe it can also imply honored. And, that Tzu is typically understood to be an honorific suffix (if you will) to denote master. But the thought that crossed my mind is ...

Is Lao Tzu singular or could it be plural?

... referring to the many Old Masters. It would need someone with experience in chinese language to shed light on the question.

Anything to this ... or am I off in the weeds.

• Like 1