Aletheia

Plato's Eugenics/Western Metaphysics/the birth of SCIENCE

yes Plato said each citizen was valued at 9/8, the major 2nd music interval, as a geometric mean logarithm and so must be "compromised" or "tempered" for the good of the state. This was the original eugenics.

On 6/17/2018 at 7:25 PM, voidisyinyang said:

yes Plato said each citizen was valued at 9/8, the major 2nd music interval, as a geometric mean logarithm and so must be "compromised" or "tempered" for the good of the state. This was the original eugenics.

What about Aristotle’s Nichomachean Ethics, have you read that? He talks about means and string ratios with regard to the soul I think. And I just remembered that for the presocratics habit meant lair, like an animal's lair as in that's where we dwell. Now I realise it's lyre lol.

Heidegger has an essay called building, dwelling, thinking where he says there's a housing shortage haha. Although he's always thinking back to the presocratics so he deconstructs all the meanings back to their foundations. Then Hume says inductive causation is just habit rather than necessity etc.

https://www.iep.utm.edu/aris-eth/

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristotle-ethics/

Edited by Aletheia

Don't know if dwelling is related to habit philosophically/etymologically. But here he invokes two gods at the beginning of the essay. The Platonic demiurge which works with the archetypes and Aristotle's teleological god as the goal of building-dwelling.

Maybe someone's written about it somewhere...

Edited by Aletheia

Peter Kingsley, a Ph.D. philosopher, had his thesis on Pythagorean philosophy published by Oxford University Press in 1997, Ancient Philosophy, Mystery and Magic. In that book Kingsley says:

“By the time of Plato and Aristotle, the doors of understanding were closed.... Argument [became] more important than appreciation, reinterpretation, an easy substitute for understanding.... [The devolution] destroyed the mythical dialectic.” p. 108,

I saw some relatively new Peter Kingsley videos a month or two ago. Right I'm thinking of the same channel you posted.

The western tradition sucks ass. There's no tradition other than the dead presocratic era and really I think it's a serious problem! That's what Heidegger was always on about. It's beyond bizarre no one gets it even when it couldn't be more obvious!

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yAIv1b6fftoC&pg=PA59&lpg=PA59&dq=eulogy+heidegger&source=bl&ots=G38bgMTX91&sig=175GjUwszPTwAa-m5QKII9_A6ZM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGlsW0z-XbAhUKIMAKHQC7AooQ6AEILjAA

There's a Mike Jay video I watched that's pretty good. I was reminded after seeing a video of his on that channel -