Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

Mair 17:3

When Confucius was traveling in K'uang, the local militia surrounded him several layers deep, but he kept right on singing and playing his lute.  Tzulu went over to see him and said, "How can you be so cheerful, master?"

"Come!" said Confucius, "I shall tell you.  Long have I shunned adversity, but have not been able to avoid it:  that's my destiny.  Long have I sought success, but have not been able to achieve it; that's the times.  In the age of Yao and Shun, there was no one under heaven who met with adversity, but their achievements were not due to their knowledge.  In the age of Chieh and Chow, there was no one under heaven who met with success, but their failures were not due to their lack of knowledge.  It was because of the times and the circumstances they encountered.

"To travel on water yet not flee from crocodiles and dragons is the courage of the fisherman; to travel on land yet not flee from rhinoceroses and tigers is the courage of the hunter; to have naked blades cross before him yet view death as calmly as life is the courage of the ardent warrior; to know that adversity is due to destiny and that success is due to the times yet face great difficulty without fear is the courage of the sage.  Just sit tight, Tzulu.  I am under the control of my destiny."

Shortly afterward, the leader of the armed men came over and apologized, saying, "We thought you were Tiger Yang {{A notorious marauder.}} and so we surrounded you.  Now that we know you're not, please accept our apologies and we shall retreat."
Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

local militia

the question is: was it A well regulated Militia?

2 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

the question is: was it A well regulated Militia?

I would say "Yes" if all they did was capture and not try to kill.

• Like 2

Once again Confucius is presented as having it all wrong. Acting with fatalism , his behavior convinces the troops not to kill him then and there, even as he says things are out of his control.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this