wandelaar

Lao tse and the Socratic Method

1 hour ago, wandelaar said:

I give up.

The secret is to find the right partner if you want to practice this method. That's likely to be quite tricky on this bulletin board (as I've just been discovering myself).

☮️

20 minutes ago, Daemon said:

The secret is to find the right partner if you want to practice this method. That's likely to be quite tricky on this bulletin board (as I've just been discovering myself).

☮️

Not only here and with this method! When continuing a discussion turns out to be useless I just stop with it. No blame, no sorry. I just switch to a more useful topic or discussion. My time and energy are limited, so I have to be careful how I spend it if I want to make progress.

Edited by wandelaar
  • Like 2

The learner..

I dont really disagree with that, I just think we are past the point where we can realistically butt out. We collectively need to foster the earth, decide what will get to live unbothered and what we will exploit.

How many and how few , so that it continues to function. Yes its a huge undertaking. The next hundred years are pivotal and we cant be babies about it. 

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

On 8-5-2018 at 2:16 PM, Rara said:

Chuang Tzu ridiculed debates too. When I find the section, I'll post it here.

On 9-5-2018 at 4:00 PM, Rara said:

There's this for Ch. 24 I believe;

"All attempts to create something admirable are the weapons of evil. You may think you are practising benevolence and righteousness, but in effect you will be creating a kind of artificiality. Where a model exists, copies will be made of it; where success has been gained, boasting follows; where debate exists, there will be outbreaks of hostility."

On 9-5-2018 at 4:21 PM, wandelaar said:

That is exactly the danger of debates, the stirring up of animosity. The Socratic method will possibly be an antidote to that.

I am currently reading a relatively new translation (in Dutch) of the Chuang tse, and in the chapter 2 debating controversial questions is considered completely useless. Some extra (relativistic) reasons are given there besides "outbreaks of hostility".

Edited by wandelaar
  • Thanks 1