Sign in to follow this  
stovepipe

How is learning magic compatible with Taoism?

I had my first important spiritual awakening a year ago when I discovered taoism.

I am now learning reiki, shamanism, and diverse systems with the help of my teacher. It's been a very beautiful thing for me, I am feeling lighter and lighter days after days. 

A close friend is wondering how my new practices can be compatible with wu wei. It seems to him that one who studies these arts is likely to be driven by egoist forces. I'm not sure what to tell him.

Edited by stovepipe

I practice western magic , of a certain tradition.    It has taught me how to 'do things' (accomplish things ) by using the forces of the thing itself and the forces of nature, thereby making my efforts, not  'non action, or not doing', but certainly with a lot less effort .

Think of gardening ;   I might expend a lot of time energy and money  watering my lawns and gardens today .  or I might do nothing, as the knowledge and perceptions I have developed tell me its going to rain this afternoon , although the sky is clear blue as far as I can see .     Or, regarding minimal effort, I might put off pulling those extra stubborn weeds out until the Moon's last quarter ...  then they will lift out like 'magic' .

But the thing is , any 'magic' you practice must be for the right reason and for the right ends .

Seeking 'siddhis'   for the sake of it ,  with no proper aim,  does seem a cause  of the ego .

Also, one must be practical and realistic , if aims can be achieved by other ends ; as the teacher said to the student that had just returned from many years away to study magic, and tried to impress his old teacher by walking on the water to cross the river to his teachers house ;   " What ?  You spent all those years learning to do what the local peasants pay the ferryman a penny for ? "

• Like 3

To Stovepipe - 

there is a passage in the tao te ching about "magical" or " supernatural" abilites...  these phenomenon are simply a fact of existence just like anything else, and there is also reference to the "use" of the "tao" 

4:  The tao is so vast that when you use it, something is always left. How deep it is!

35:  When the tao appears from it's opening, it is so subtle, it has no taste.  Look at it, you cannot see it.  Listen, you cannot hear it.  Use it.  You cannot exhaust it. 

Lao Tse also offers another nice suggestion regarding "magic": 

38:  Occult abilities are just flowers of the Tao, and the beginning of foolishness.  Therefore the master dwells in the substantial And not in the superficial.  Rests in the fruit and not in the flower.  So let go of that and grasp this. 

Truth be told - in my opinion the development of understanding and approaching the mystery of the Tao through specific meditational practices causes one to become aware of types of magical abilities... it's entirely natural to happen.  The hindus also revere the attainment of such realizations along their path to the Tao.  Everyone who honestly pursues the truth will most likely come across such phenomenon.  What is important to realize is that these types of abilities arise as side effects of their approach, they are not the goal.  The goal is whatever you choose, but there is an objective realization to occur.  However, these types of abilities can be used for good or evil, just like anything else.  And eventually, if a person develops themselves enough the use of these magical abilities will in some cases become necessary to do good and help others when there is no other way of doing so.... like when the Buddha transfixed his entourage across a river to save them from dying, or when Jesus healed the guard's ear instantly that his disciple Peter cut off., etc. etc. etc.  So in essence, there is a time and place for the use of such abilities...masters use them all of the time to help the world.

Be forewarned, the ears of the universe hear everything, and your life will take directions according to what is placed in your path or what you intend to do.  If you seek only power for yourself, divine providence will influence your life and direct it another way.  Once you reach a certain point in your development, all of your "learned opinions" will diminish and disappear. 

But to conclude, the development of magical abilities is super awesome and the divine right of every human being, anyone can develop them and use them accordingly. 

Furthermore, The spiritual path to the divine is a path marked with the same milestones for everyone, it's the path of the absolute truth of existence.  Taoism, Buddhism, Hindusim, etc.  are all just systems of thought.... not the path itself.  For Lao Tse remarks on it: 

"The tao that can be followed is not the Eternal Tao."

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this