Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

Mair 13:4

I have no problem with that opinion of yours above.

While reading I was reminded of the Chuang Tzu concept that the Sage, or any person of awareness, can travel through far away villages and the people never knew that he was ever there.  He didn't even leave any footprints.

Yes, we all get socialized when we are growing up.  After that it is up to the individual to determine if the teachings are of value.  But most don't question.

11 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I have no problem with that opinion of yours above.

While reading I was reminded of the Chuang Tzu concept that the Sage, or any person of awareness, can travel through far away villages and the people never knew that he was ever there.  He didn't even leave any footprints.

Yes, we all get socialized when we are growing up.  After that it is up to the individual to determine if the teachings are of value.  But most don't question.

Imagination is cool. 

See , there , that's the problem.

Once folks 'grow up' , they are still not in a position to determine if things are of value correctly. 

Exactly.  Our understandings should be tested once we mature.  Many folks don't do that.  Or maybe it's just that they never mature?

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Exactly.  Our understandings should be tested once we mature.  Many folks don't do that.  Or maybe it's just that they never mature?

Well, we only -exactly- disagree it seems, its useless to judge our own attitudes, because the same winds are at play at 50 as were in motion at twelve. That's why people do not trust themselves to make their own religion ; they want an independent arbiter.

Its why they wish for some bolt of lightning, grace of god ,miagic,  or rising kundalini ,  to shake them all the way back to the core values they established by six yrs old. 

The Taoists of old viewed the simplicity and virtue of a child to be the most uncontaminated display of what human virtue could be, and it was inarguable with. A  virtue paradigm anchored in an in-arguably uncontaminated basis. 

“Can you focus your breath as supple as a newborn child? Can you cleanse your vision till there is no blemish?

He isnt asking whether you can poop your pants and cry all day, he is suggesting you can let go of the tears , wipe your eyes and take a deep breath. Let that crap and sadness go along with all the attitudes that brought on the anguish, its really beautiful.

But no , to emphasize MO, I bring up- A Christmas Carol.

Scrooge , is firmly set , rationally substantiated -as regards the facts of life in general, and his own life ,in particular. His arguments are iron clad, and he has substantial cause for his anger , and his so-called cold-comforts. He supports the community , provides a job for Bob, and asks for nothing but to be left as he is. He is 'the adult' living the life which he learned or concluded was virtuous/justified.

The ghosts make their arguments , and none prevail , but one, and that! had to be shoved in his face.

In the face of the meaninglessness of his efforts , and his final dissolution into nothingness.. its his own wish for his life to be otherwise that moves his spirit , and he has to roll back all that accumulation. 

I have my own idea why Dickens gave the story the title that he did, Its because, like a carol , the story is perennial, and the public may throw tokens of appreciation before re-closing the door on it, Or they may just say Bah Humbug!  dismissing this ghost.

Grim, this 'ghost' is meant as a gift, a wake up call, and it says that while one may have good reasons for their attitudes , there's one reason which trumps the rest. 

We read from the story , that had not Jacob not taken it upon himself to make a difference, Ebeneezer would have lived out his days in the manner he had adopted and justified. 

That's all just a story though , right? Bah humbug on it ;)

Edited by Stosh

Reading your post brought to mind when someone has asked me who I am I reply that this is for others to state.  My opinion here doesn't matter.  It is what others see that is the truest me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Reading your post brought to mind when someone has asked me who I am I reply that this is for others to state.  My opinion here doesn't matter.  It is what others see that is the truest me.

I figure , regarding others views of me , I think it is most like the three stooges. Bumping into one another and poking eyes. :)

• Like 1

On 1/22/2018 at 7:12 AM, Marblehead said:
Merely liberate your integrity as you walk along and comply with the Way as you hurry on, sir, and you will get where you're going.  Why must you promote humaneness and righteousness so energetically as though you were beating a drum in search of a lost son?  Ai! sir, you are bringing confusion to the nature of man!"

Long ears has something to say ....

Sign in to follow this