Sign in to follow this  
sunshine

My own Ba Gua style

If you believe it or not. I think I found out how Ba Gua was invented. Maybe this is not new to you at all, but to be it is pretty fascinating. Not long ago I told you about my shaking experiences during Qi Gong... this has changed. I am currently still practicing SPring Forest Qigong and it does not have any rotating movements specifically... but somehwere in the middle of the practice my arms start these crawling circulating movements with partly my whole body following... I remember Ba Gua from the past. I just did a few sessions with a martial artist. Nothing spiritual...

So. What name shall I give to my form?

Hehe

Harry

Not without years of training in an orthodox system. Why re-invent the wheel, Dong's students already did the job?

This seems to be spontaneous movement qigong, natural qigong or Shen Gong, whatever you want to call it. From my knowledge it just starts happening after you've been practicing qigong a certain amount of time. From my experience when you let the body move the way it wants it tends to self-balance, open up, and allow the qi to flow better. I've noticed that it often incorporates movements that you've learned, which makes sense in terms of daoist body breakdown

heaven-man-earth,

head-heart-gut,

spirit-mind-body,

consciousness-energy-matter,

forebrain-midbrain-hindbrain,

upper dantian, middle dantian, lower dantian

the hindbrain, cerebellum, is in charge of motor control, sensory perception and muscle-memory, which is associated with the body, earth, lower dantian in qigong theory. My hypothesis is that the cerebellum and lower dantian have major 关系 (guanxi:relation).

So are you re-inventing Bagua? I'd say no. But are you tapping into the same state of mind from which all qigong was invented in the first place? Yes, I think so.

Not without years of training in an orthodox system. Why re-invent the wheel, Dong's students already did the job?

Who cares if he is trying to re- invent the wheel. Why not learn it from Dong's teacher's students? wait, Dong did not have a ba gua teacher. He made the whole thing up out of thin air. I don't see why this young man could not do the same.

Figuring it out on your own will make it yours and you will understand it better than just copying someone else. Maybe he will improve on it. All that matters is effectiveness and whether or not it works.

I have seen spontaneous movement in the context of third order Franciscan prayer meetings. I have seen spontaenous movement in people doing sitting meditation. I have seen spontaneous movement in the context of ritual witchcraft and I have seen spontaenous movement in tantra as well as belly dancing.

Ba Gua does not have a corner on the market on spontaneous movement. If you cross research the phenomena of spontaneous movement, you will find all manner of untrained and non ba gua lineage or orthodox pracitioners receiving spontaneous movement as part of ceremony, channeling, ritual magick, sex, kundulini, chi gung, hands on healing, intense prayer and devotionals like performing the Stages of the Cross while in total meditation.

The spirit moves when it is good and ready. It does not just grace the circle walkers that learned from a lineage.

Because baguazhang is an actual thing with particular requirements. Dong had years of training in martial arts and Daoist study before coming up with his ideas. While your own self expression of baguazhang can be spontaneous, spontaneous movement is not baguazhang.

Sign in to follow this