Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

New Skills in One week

I've been impressed by the works of A J Jacobs.  He writes books about his long term life hacks.  Like.. Drop Dead Healthy, where he spends a year trying to be the healthiest man in the world, or die trying.. funny expose on health, and that is exactly what he does.  One year trying different, faddy things. 

So.. I will spend next week, memorizing the numbers to all my credit cards, bank accounts and relevant phone numbers.  My tool will be pseudonumerology http://folk.ntnu.no/krill/home.htm  a system of mnemonics. 

I already know 1 thru 10, ie 0 is Sss, 1 is t, 2 is n, 3 is m...  So its matter of writing down the numbers, creating words that go for them.  Like 7362715 is Come (73) Chain (62)  Cattle (715), words that afford good imagery.  Then cue cards with number (and its relevance) in front, the mnemonic words in back then practicing them.

The grand hope is if you use the system enough, it becomes very fast.  When you need to remember numbers you do it on the fly.  There are lists of simple words that already incorporate 0 to 100. 

I will start tomorrow and log my progress.

Anyone else have simple One Week projects they can suggest?

• Like 5

How did this project go? I'm interested in hearing results good or bad, an what you've tried that you find useful that works.

Also I suggest mentally recreating a place, as detailed as possible for one week. 

Another one week, is to recreate your martial arts training mentally and feel yourself doing it an e even doing pushups an other callistenics mentally. 

Also one week devoted to mentally disregarding time and distance as you travel. Which means don't look at watches or miles just travel. If you do a blog on these experiences I'd like to read your results.

I've had surprising benefits from all of those, but without saying what they are I'm interested in seeing what happens to others who practice it. If our experiences match or how they differ.

• Like 1

As far as psuedonumerology, I found it better for memorizing phone numbers then credit cards.  I could come up with witty collections for 10 digit numbers, but when it came to credit cards and long ones I found words from different cards would blend together.

Probably a matter of more practice needed, but having failed once or twice to put in the right credit card number when needed, I've given up for now and just look at the things when needed. 

Other one week projects.  Overhauling my passwords.  So I have one coherent system, easy to type and remember. 

• Like 1

This is can be done in a similar way to remembering numbers...

Just come up with a fun, enjoyable sentence, with numbers in it, then use the first letter of each word for the password.

'There are 5 swans on the lake'

=

Ta5sotl

and then come up with some way to add symbols in a similar way

• Like 1

Good idea but you don't want to use the same password for multiple sites. Maybe add the second to first and second to last letters in the name of site to the password, making it unique. 

Sign in to follow this