Living

No-Self? Who or what is reborn?

Sure it's not that there is no you what it is saying is that there is nothing permanent you. For example who you where yesterday is not who you are today or who you where when you are a teenager is not who you are now but you're still the same person right. But your also not. So there is no you that is permanent. You are always changing. If you could come to a place of equanimity the changes of self you experience will no bring suffering. As far as reincarnation that is the most misunderstood topic besides nirvana in Buddhism. When you receive insight into past lives it's not meaning before you where born in buddhism yesterday was a past life was it not, when you where a kid that's was a past life was it not. So if we revive insight into past life's we understand who we where how we acted and how we can better change our selfs and have upright response to what is, this is compassion or prajna parmita. So if you don't have that insight you will keep acting out the same experience over and over so you will be reborn. So don't think of incarnation as dieing and being reborn view it in this very life. So there is no permenent self not that there is no self it's not permanent the way we think it is. There is a lot of mis translation in Buddhism when it came to the west. 

Edited by X2471990
Spelling

8 hours ago, X2471990 said:

Sure it's not that there is no you what it is saying is that there is nothing permanent you. 

That is the bottom line, IMO.  Of course, I don't believe in immortality though.

Well let's investigate what it means to be immortal. If you can see that this self is impemenent what is that that sees the self that is impermemt. I know this sounds philosophical but if you identified with that experience as who you are you would be immortal in a sense. That is one definition you say you don't believe in immortality so iam not gonna go further with you on the subject of Qi cultivation but in Buddhism if you could see the imperment self in what I described above you would then be immortal in a sense. All of that has nothing to do with the idea of Qi and immortality. A Buddha is not a Hisen 

I almost feel like you just told me to shut up, in a very nice way, of course.

Okay, I'm in a Buddhist Discussion thread.  I'm not even supposed to be here.

So much for immortality.

No not at all but there is a old Buddhist saying to tell someone the truth before they are ready to here it is to tell them a lie. 

• Like 1

The most important part of all this stuff is really just comeing to a place where you can let this moment be as it is live in the here and now and learn to let go. That's it but nobody does that If they did there would be no more of these so called masters to take people's money or dangle something over people's heads. None of this nei Gong stuff or confusing Buddhist stuff  would matter and people may not be happy but they would be a peace with what is in this moment. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, X2471990 said:

No not at all but there is a old Buddhist saying to tell someone the truth before they are ready to here it is to tell them a lie. 

Nietzsche had that same problem.

• Like 1