Wayfarer

Chongxuan Daoism Revival

Hi all,

I have begun a mini-revival of the Twofold Mystery (Chongxuan) Daoism as I feel it is relevant to us today, particularly to those who think of Daoism philosophically.  It relates to Daoist thought of around 5th to 8th century CE.  I have created a website highlighting the key teachings and a Daily Practice page based on those teachings.  Hope you like it.

Here is part of the introduction page and my reasons for doing it...https://chongxuandao.com/

The Chongxuan approach was not a school or a monastic practice but a particular lens through which people viewed and debated the meanings central to Daoism of mainly the 5th to the 8th century CE. I have chosen to make a mini-revival of Chongxuan thinking for two reasons; firstly, for those who have practised Daoism for many years in the West, it will not have escaped their notice that among our own scholars there is the belief that our idea of a philosophical Daoism is quite laughable.  To me, this is an incorrect view and I believe that readers unfamiliar with the Chongxuan approach (which seems to me to be out of the current Daoist limelight), will find here a way that fits very much in line with Western thinking.  So my first reason is to broaden the appeal of the Twofold Mystery approach by making it more accessible and in doing so, I feel the time is right to extend the original arguments which I do through a commentary at the end of each claim or statement.

The second reason is that I see for some practitioners there is the need to connect their daily cultivation to the thinking and practices of the ancients in a more meaningful way but without committing to ordination or aligning somehow with a specific lineage.  By following the Chongxuan way the reader is able to connect with an authentic “school of thinking” which draws directly from the DDJ and Chuang Tsu, while developing his or her current practice and understanding .  I offer a Daily Practice section aligned with the Chongxuan teachings to show the reader the simple ways of experiencing such ideas for his or herself.

• Like 5

Good news.

Did you base your revival on some lineage?And are you initiated or ordained Daoist?

Ormus

Hi Ormus,

No lineage as Chongxuan has never had a lineage or been part of a temple/school culture.  No I'm not initiated or ordained.  I'm interested in the Dao and not Daoism really however the Twofold Mystery school seemed to focus on elements that I feel are important to Daoism.  It indicates a period in Daoist history where much thought was given to the meaning of the first two Daoist classics and in the meaning of being and non-being.

Much of Daoism in China did not rely on a lineage, for example there were people who became very influential by claiming that they had been visited by Lao Tsu of the DDJ and given wisdom, or, he communicated through them.  Also Wang Chongyang began Quanzhen Daoism and each of his seven followers started their own schools - note Qiu Chuji founder of Longmen tradition which survives to this date.  Even the Zhengyi tradition, which claims direct lineage back to 2nd C CE and sometimes to Lao Tsu himself had its lineage broken up for many years with all the turmoil going on throughout Chinese history.  So we may hold value in lineages and schools but there is no need to.  Look out at the world, there is the Dao.

I wanted to introduce Chongxuan to "Western" Daoists as it is very philosophical and is rooted in DDJ and Chuang Tsu.  It also leads to the Truth as far as I see it, and does not conceal that with lots of information about alchemy or ruling a country etc.  So I think it has its place in modern times :)

Ta.

• Like 2

I meant to say that the people who were visited by Lao Tsu, were actually claiming that he visited them spiritually, centuries after he had died. This happened quite a lot apparently.

Yes many claim to be visited by him and other Immortals.In this way theyr ecive teaching and founded their lineages.

Ormus

• Like 1