Sign in to follow this  
mvingon

Insular

I have noticed that a good many people, here and in real life, are very insular, can not or will not think outside their own paradigms of thought.

I have also noticed a good many people who have all sorts of obstacles to thinking outside a given paradigm, and manage to find ways to do it.

Are we all just really that complacent and judgemental? Do we really just not care about it?

I read once that British MP's visited the USA, not so very long ago, and wept openly, at working conditions in some US industry.

Dickinsonian conditions exist now, more than any period I have been alive to have ever seen before. And people think privilege and luck is bootstrapping. Not everyone is privileged or lucky.

• Like 1

I have noticed that a good many people, here and in real life, are very insular, can not or will not think outside their own paradigms of thought.

I have also noticed a good many people who have all sorts of obstacles to thinking outside a given paradigm, and manage to find ways to do it.

Are we all just really that complacent and judgemental? Do we really just not care about it?

I read once that British MP's visited the USA, not so very long ago, and wept openly, at working conditions in some US industry.

Dickinsonian conditions exist now, more than any period I have been alive to have ever seen before. And people think privilege and luck is bootstrapping. Not everyone is privileged or lucky.

"At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge, ... it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."

"Are there no prisons?"

"Plenty of prisons..."

"And the Union workhouses." demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"

"Both very busy, sir..."

"Those who are badly off must go there."

"Many can't go there; and many would rather die."

"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

I agree. The USA is becoming this.

• Like 2

Beware viewing people that way...for one, none of us know the intellectual and emotional depth of the person we're choosing to put into that box...perhaps they're light years beyond us in terms of having considered different perspectives. Not good to underestimate your enemy, or even to make an enemy when they aren't truly that.

Secondly, it primarily reveals our own insular perspective, rather than the person being discussed...it's the old saying which applies 100% of the time: "When you point your finger, there are three pointed back at you". We see others through the lens we're wearing, and primarily talk about that lens. A cultivation technique: see what you say about your enemies, then stop saying it about anyone else, and start seeing how what you said could be applied to yourself.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 1

And did Scrooge stay in that mindset, in the end?

Jog my memory, a bit, what happened after the ghosts of past, present and future appeared?

Perhaps Dickens was just a fool...

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this