grassmountiansage

Lu DongBin battle and Enlightenment with Monk HuangLong

Came across a very Interesting story about Lu DongBin

Lu+Dongbin+%25E5%2591%2582%25E6%25B4%259

There is also an interesting story from the Buddhist tradition called Lu Dongbin Unleashes his Sword to Cut Down Huanglong (呂洞賓飛劍斬黃龍 Lu Dongbin Feijian Zhan Huanglong). It was told by Zen Master Hsu Yun (虛雲 Xuyun), an enlightened master universally recognized by all Chinese Buddhists as being the greatest Zen monk of the 19th and 20th centuries. It was not uncommon for Taoists and Buddhists to run into one another in the vast religious landscape of ancient China, and this was one of those encounters. The legend is about how Zen Master Huanglong enlightened Lu Dongbin who, up until their meeting, still suffered from egoism even though he was already a Taoist transcendent. It is said that out of all the Eight Immortals, Lu Dongbin was one of the wildest ones. At one time, he was flying over a Zen monastery located on Lushan and showing off his powers. He observed a purple cloud over the monastery which indicated that something deeply sacred was occurring beneath it. Lu Dongbin wanted to see what was going on, so he transformed himself into a Buddhist monk and entered the main hall of the monastery. The abbot, Zen Master Huanglong, was about to deliver a teaching, but he stopped and said, “I will not give my discourse today because there is a Dharma thief in our assembly.” Lu Dongbin then changed back into his actual form and stepped forward. He arrogantly asked the master, “Please explain to me what is meant by the Buddhist saying ‘A grain of corn can contain the universe, and mountains and rivers can fit into a small cooking pot.’” Zen Master Huanglong laughed and called him a “corpse guarding demon” (i.e. one who is attached to his physical body which is actually something impermanent). Lu Dongbin did not understand that the actual nature of all phenomena is characterized by emptiness. He still held onto the erroneous view that the self was something real and permanent. Lu Dongbin told Huanglong, “My gourd is filled with the elixir of immortality.” Huanglong then said “Even if you are able to live for eighty thousand (i.e. countless) aeons, you still cannot avoid falling into the void!” This angered Lu Dongbin so he unleashed his magical sword and threw it at Huanglong. The Zen master merely pointed his finger at the sword and it dropped to the ground. Lu Dongbin attempted to retrieve his sword but it wouldn’t move. He was astonished that a Zen master could be so powerful. He dropped to his knees in respect and pleaded with Huanglong to enlighten him. Huanglong then explained that the mind that gives form to what it labels “a grain of corn” is the same mind that gives form to what it labels “the universe.” All things and concepts are actually mind-created. To attain true enlightenment, one must relinquish all mental fabrications which include concepts, judgments, differentiations, opinions, and ego. Lu Dongbin pondered on this profound teaching and became awakened. He was thereafter also made a Dharmapala (guardian of the Buddhist teachings).

http://jadeturtlerecords.blogspot.com/2011/05/patriarch-lu-dongbin-lu-chunyang.html

Edited by grassmountiansage
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

a ridiculous story, likely used for buddhist propaganda at the time.

you should see the full version, it's even funnier

• Like 4

Very few understand the op of what it means or some of this history. This was not against Lu DongBin but helps validate him.

this is literally how the golden dragon teachings got into the dragon gate sect the monks name is golden dragon he founded the golden dragon branch in buddhism that later died out but continued with Lu's line.

Very few understand.

• Like 2

So is it true that Guan Yin Pai from Kunlun Shan give teachings of Golden Dragon and Goldent Immortals to Chan Buddhist in Shaolin and later personaly to Master Lu Dong Bing?

Here we also see that there is Purple Elixir which is above Golden Elixir.

Ormus.

• Like 1

Did Chan Buddhism lost Nei Dan and Elixir teachings after 6 patriarch?

Did Wu Chong-xu from Longmen Pai and Liu Huayang from Chan Buddhism revive this lost teaching which they obtain from Quanzhen Longmen Pai  who got it from Lu Dong Bin?

Ormus