Sign in to follow this  
yinqi

Putting a practice together.

As a newcomer to Qigong (2 teacher-less years of practice: except for a week's workshop with Mantak Chia in Chiang Mai), my biggest problem is putting a personal practice together. I have been exploring the Qigong ocean on my own (scary) and download video or buy books pretty much by the way they resonate with me. I am now doing a crazy mix of Dragon and Tiger (Frantzis), Zhan Zhuang (Lam Kan Chuen and Ken Cohen), Primordial Qigong (various sources),

some Ba Duan Jin, the 8 Sitting Brocades, and finally some walking Qigong. I try and intuit what I want to do on any particular day and try and get in at least two hours + of practice. Would be great if you guys could give me some pointers on how to put all of this together.

I live in India where there are zero Qigong teachers and I know this is a real disadvantage but I'm not going to let that stop this amazing adventure.

Be in qi. ( and sorry about the length of the post)

• Like 1

I don't have any concrete goals as yet. I do know I don't want to be dependent on anyone as I grow older. I came into qigong late in life. I was a yoga practicioner. I am 61 now. I want this practice to help me grow gracefully into old age on all levels of being.

Thank you for asking.

Your kind of "all over the place" with different practices so it's difficult to give advice. What i would say is get a practice you feel a strong connection with and do it daily for 100 days. After the initial 100 days if you feel like you have got a substantial benefit and enjoyed it then keep doing it daily. 

• Like 3

A agree with Oldchi, time to pick one and 'go deep'. 

Imo, its nice to have a system that includes sitting and motion. 

• Like 1

This is the thing! I do seem to be all over the place but I get so much from each of these practices! I know within myself that the Zhan Zhuang is the foundation for my practice, so that will be a part of whatever I do. Now to figure out which other form I need to commit to. I want to work up to three hours a day. I do the walking qigong in the morning. I do another form at noon for about an hour. And then one form plus 50 minutes of standing in the evening. This is is my schedule thus far. I am loving it but like you guys say I need to go in deep. Would that mean that I do the same form every time plus the standing?

Oh would that a teacher appear magically in this Calcutta city of mine!

Thank you.

Be in qi.

Sign in to follow this