Nikolai1

Vasectomy

I had a vasectomy aged 49. I'm now 55, and have noticed no adverse effects in terms of cultivation.

From a medical point of view apparently the testicles continue to produce sperm, but they are re-absorbed into the body in due course. The only downside has been a reported less-pleasant change in the taste of my ejaculate. My wife, who is a number of years younger than I and fertile, remains very happy indeed that there's no risk of an unwanted pregnancy.

IMHO pretty much all the esoteric discussion is speculative.

• Like 1

"For me spiritual practice is all about developing the capacity to contain energy. Celibacy becomes easier as we grow more used to dealing and channeling what is left over.  If we are sedentary or uninspired then that energy will become uncontainable and so celibacy is out of the question.  Put a monkey in a cage and masturbation becomes absolutely necessary for his well-being because his energy levels become unmanageable"

------

There is a difference between Abstaining and Celibacy - the traditional definition of Celibacy is not just not having sex, but not having a partner (it is the single life and one without sex). Since Awakening I am what I consider Celibate though I have a wife and 9 year old son. But my wife and I have no sex of any kind - and we do not engage in any "play".

Upon Awakening it took some time to re-establish what our relationship was - had we not had a young son we may very well have parted our ways - though that is not clear at all. Awakening often results in fairly epic changes in ones daily relations - at least at the outset nearly every tie one has has fallen away. The relationship to my wife, business, "my" positions, "my" politics, "my" best strategies - it all fell away. The relationship to my son was generally always in the present and he was definitely in the present - so it did not change except for the better.

I had always been oversexed - but in awakening it was not that I lost my sexual urges - it was that they were a distraction at least initially and far far removed from where my awareness was. I had to establish as gently as possible that touch and advances were not something I wanted to engage in - at least not for awhile. It took some time to let her know how our relationship in a certain sense had - ended - though I did not frame it that way - I let her know that after Awakening it was like being in a house that was not mine with a family I was not attached to, with a business that had my name on it but with which I had no attachment nor any interest in.

I was lucky that my business orders were easily simply fulfilled - all other activities such as new product development (which normally excited me and which I I enjoyed designing and bringing to market) simply ended completely. My home life of parenting consisted mainly of showing up at the various places for driving our son here and there and shopping for food. At home being with him was a joy and being with my wife was not a problem - she could certainly feel that a certain "edge" was gone from me and I was much more easy going.

In Awakening - the initial stages - it is like sitting in an unknown abyss - but an abyss of OKness.

It has now been several years since this sustained Awakening occurred and a great deal continues to happen every week or two and has since it happened - it is astonishing. My relationship with my wife has deepened and as a parent I am certainly better for it. The family relationship has been excellent for my continued practice as it has been a clear reminder here and there of what still needed to fall away - residual patterns that remained. Since Awakening my practice intensity did not really change much but I went from lots of sitting meditation to lots of moving Qi Gong - a superb practice for further work on letting residual patterns fall away.

All of this is not to digress from this thread but to set up some basis from which to talk since it is germain to the subject of abstaining / celibacy - ( and eventually vasectomy ).

Since I have undertaken Qi Gong, Awakened and become Celibate - a relatively uncommon package - here are some points that have taken place:

For the most part sexual desire has dropped dramatically - but it has on occasion popped up out of no where and makes clear the deep seated response we have to visuals as well as pheromones. Also, from practice not associated with doing anything in particular - at times "breathing" through ones penis and the entirely incredible light in the souther regions comes out of no where as well and it is not associated with a sexual drive but none the less one may have a raging exhibit of it - and for a time that can lean over into desire - not nessisarily to copulate with another - but definitely with ideas regarding release - and dreams can be very vivid in this regard but oddly I have not had a misfire there.

Over time urges dissipate but on the other hand the energy of the genitals does not - they are in light constantly and often suprizingly so - though by comparison to what else is going on they are generally not in the spotlight. I have never considered Celibacy with any high regard for "retention" and still do not. Retention has only to me been just a temporary tool for adjusting completely out of control rampant lust and over the top self gratification. This Celibacy that I am engaged in now is very different - it became me at about the same time dropping alcohol and meat did - though I dropped alcohol prior - they are in a sense "downers" to my current energy.

Obviously sex is not a product or what is typically thought of as food taken into ones system - it is a relational activity and even divine activity - but it is also highly animal though it certainly does not have to be. My relationship with my wife sexually was certainly spiritual but we were not from a ritualistic sexual background nor tantric - however I might like to sugar coat the experience - I like to fuck. After Awakening the energy of "fucking my brains out and her's as well" was not repugnant, but it was simply base and the lightness of being changed as I participated in "going there".

We choose the frequency in which we are - the karma - upon Awakening the choice is not one of being torn between choices - for the most part the way is clear - though we may override it here and there - but it becomes exceedingly obvious to those who did at least a modicum of prior practice - that overriding is what you always used to do prior to awakening and that patterning and looping is now gone.

It is this last thought that brought me to choose the quote above - the idea that "spiritual practice is all about the capacity to contain energy" - it is perhaps the opposite of this.

Our patterning acts as a net - it collects and blocks the flow through our entirety - like a spiders web it grabs onto things and thoughtforms we prize and devour again and again - we become the web and defend the web - it is "our" web - stay the hell away!

The dissipation of our capacities is not helped by an increase in containment - we are dissipated by the patterns and mind looping and constant inertia from them. Containment becomes just an additional blocking in our net - possibly with the idea that at a certain point it will expunge certain blocks or that at a certain point it will bring us to a point of energetic capacity to activate formerly unavailable possibilities - but this is not how it really works - not in the general picture. Certainly it can help out here and there - but as a tool only.

Look at it more like this - light is moving through everything - it is everything.

Most living forms live in this light - flow in the stream of light - are present to it.

We have webbed the flow and live in the heat of its constraints - like a poor conductor sitting in the middle of a raging and wonderful flow of light. We run all over the place working to engineer a better structure - and if we get in our minds that our structure is false and an illusion we are perfectly assured that we must remove the structure with a non-structure that is structured in accordance with the great teachers who are practically yelling to us that this is incorrect thinking and we shake our heads and say we understand but then ask why - because we never heard them in the first place.

We are not replacing structure - not even with non-structure. We are either being worn down to no-structure - no "in the way ness" or we are intentionally suffering Practice in order to free ourselves of the bonds we contain ourselves within. The actual amount of energy available to usnat all times is beyond measure - the amount we can "have" is related to just how poorly or not so poorly we can transmit light through our awareness.

The word "clarity" is often associated with Awakening - and most of us think it is because "wow - now I see everything and know everything" but that is not so much the case as "wow - I now realize I know nothing and have never known anything and do not need to worry about pegging everything into its proper place because that was a ridiculous fantasy I got all webbed up into and oh my god this universe is incredible and perfect and beautiful and I am that/this/all"

Practice is not even about letting go - it is about the process of enabling falling away - if for one moment the web is dropped - we Awaken.

----

I cannot say whether I would or would not recommend vasectomy - Spilling my sperm at nearly every opportunity did not seem to effect my ability to progress though I am not "proud" of my lack of discipline or more aptly my total indulgence. It is certainly the case that in general a woman at ease regarding the implications of sex is a woman that is much more fun in bed and around men in general. I know of no evidence to support the notion that a woman who has had three children would in any way think less of a partner that has had a vasectomy - even on a subtle nature - I think the opposite is true - if it makes them feel safer and freer then they will be more attracted than ever - and sex will take on a "fun" level that it never completely had before.

In general I do not think a vasectomy would be detrimental to Awakening - containment has never been the issue - though it is something the engineers absolutely love to believe - it is far more a change of frequency (vibration) and that can take place and will take place regardless of a vasectomy. However, if a fear is in place - that becomes part of the web, part of the heated gluing matrix obscuring the light. At a certain frequency - like that of a voice that breaks glass - the frequency drops the web - at least large chunks of it.

Since Awakening I am what I consider Celibate though I have a wife and 9 year old son. But my wife and I have no sex of any kind - and we do not engage in any "play".

You're basically saying the same as I've been saying.  Although I don't recomnend the deliberate pursuit of celibacy - it will naturally become a feature of our lives as we awaken.  I'm in a situation where two developments have naturally converged:

1) My partner and I feel an acute desire not to conceive any more children.

2) I no longer need the pleasures of sex in my life anyway.  While I enjoy intimacy as much as ever, intercourse seems unnecessary and a bit ridiculous - undignified even.  The orgasm is still a pleasure, but sometimes I experience almost equivalent bodily pleasures spontaneously and I enjoy a subtle background pleasure day in day out, which it seems to me that too much sex would dissipate.

I understand that for some people, sex - like meditation - is understood as a powerful spiritual practice.  I think if you have these views then it is unlikely to strike you as ridiculous or unnecessary.  But for me, I've never attached that much spiritual significance to it, so it seems it is time for me to let it fall by the wayside.

It is this last thought that brought me to choose the quote above - the idea that "spiritual practice is all about the capacity to contain energy" - it is perhaps the opposite of this.

Perhaps contain is the wrong word - the 'capacity to sustain energy' would perhaps be better.  One thing I've noticed is that when I go without sex I experience a strong feeling of buzzing energy.   Within about a week this becomes so strong that I am no longer able to drink coffee as I am left feeling too 'wired'.  If this feeling gets too strong I start to feel quite unpleasant and I need sexual release in order to feel more grounded.  My body, in other words, is unable to tolerate the high vibrational frequency that celibacy produces.

But, the opposite is also true.  With too much sexual release I start to feel too grounded - heavy, lethargic and sluggish and some form of retention is necessary in order to restore the feeling of vibrancy and equilibrium.

When it come to spiritual practice there is a definite direction.  Over time, the equilibrium bar gets higher and we are required to ejaculate less and the vibrations we feel comfortable with grow higher and higher.

There are other ways of noticing this change in basic energy.  We find that we no longer need heavy grounding foods ( eg meat) as much as once did, and we don't need other energy lowering substances (like alcohol).

Over time we naturally fall into a pattern of vegetarianism, tee-totalism and celibacy.  This is not a deliberate ploy - it naturally occurs and we wish it because it feels more wholesome to us.

But this can never be turned into a moral code.  If a person cannot tolerate high vibrations, they should not attempt celibacy.  They will either fail (thus leaving them feeling bad) or they will resort to other compulsive frequency lowering techniques.  As many of these teachniques are behavioural/emotional the person may need to lower their energy through mistreatment of other people, or through involvement with situations that they could have avoided by a more judicious attitude to the pleasure of sex.

The monkey in a cage is accumulating energy that the animal has not been prepared for.  Masturbation is crucial and necessary for equilibrium and well-being.

The average human also lives in a kind of cage - incarcerated by their fixed patterns they see in reality.  Frequent need for the grounding power of sex is one of the defining traits of the human condition, but is one that the liberated have freed themselves from.

• Like 1

I think "the capacity to sustain" is not much different if the sustaining is looked at as the result of a build up.

This is engineering talk - and it works to a point - it is deceptive.

As certain of the higher vehicles are engaged and relatively clear the energy is little influence by absinance - at least it has been for me considered of little significance. If I were to masturbate daily it would have little effect on my general energy - as an experiment it could be above the indulgence of distraction and I am certain it would be no big drop.

What does take considerable effort in is the clarifying of the entire physical body in order to handle certain energies wherein the power is simply astounding and very very very grounded, grounding and embodying. Ones energy can easily go from fairly sedentary to through the moon with greatly increased grounding as the energy explodes in complete control and escalating control.

In fact at the high levels you could have ten cups of coffee and go to sleep or stay up - it would have next to no effect at all with the exception of creating a high acidic state within your body.

It all appears somewhat neat and tidy and comprehendable - but it all goes by the wayside time after time after time.

I simply am not a devote of the idea of retention and any real considerable power in retaining - it certainly has power but far more important to me is the destraction aspect and in the past the tool of abstinence here and there.

It sounds in your case that you have already made up your mind and it fits for you - I would only suggest that it is not necessary to be conclusive in your thoughts on the matter - enjoy what comes to pass and observe.

• Like 1

As certain of the higher vehicles are engaged and relatively clear the energy is little influence by absinance - at least it has been for me considered of little significance. If I were to masturbate daily it would have little effect on my general energy - as an experiment it could be above the indulgence of distraction and I am certain it would be no big drop.

Yes, but you would never go on some sort of masturbation binge - it's just not something you would ever do or feel the need to do.  It's all very well to talk about 'ifs' but when we look at your actual life - you are celibate and sexual release is something that is unwanted/unnecessary.

But for me, it is still feasable that I go on some kind of binge and so the energetic highs and lows that ensue are facts of life.  

You, perhaps rightly, resist the engineering talk, and yet your very life seems to be an example of what happens when we outgrow the need to 'ground' ourselves through sex.

I think my main point is that we need our energies to be in balance.  Sex can be used to ground those energies; or it can be used to raise them by turning sex into a kind of yoga.  This is why there can be no no proscribed view on the spiritual harms or benefits of sex.  But one thing that is true is that we reach a point where we stop using sex as a way of modifying our energetics. I think when this point comes then sex becomes something irrelevant - we know in advance that it serves no purpose for us.  It no longer grounds us or raises us.  

The purposeless of it becomes very obvious when fear of babies becomes a part of sex.  One wonders: why put up with unnecessary fear.

• Like 1

. If this were valid (as far as humans are concerned), how come (no pun intended here) females are particularly sexually attractive and sensitive during their menstruation? - As certain studies showed.

Intercourse during menstruation helps speed up removal of the lining through the contractions experienced during orgasm. Also, it is always stress relieving, relieves cramps, can shorten the length of the period, all sorts of stuff...

• Like 1