Sign in to follow this  
Oneironaut

Is this martial art hazardous to your longterm health?

Certain precautions can be taken when practicing techniques to minimize the damage .... like when kicking ... 3 guys in my club have problem knees, one has a knee replacement . I had 2 instructors die of MS ... probably a coincidence though ?

One time I tried training at this different club, just about everyone had joint supports on , on various joints. The instructor rushed over to me on the first night "Dont practice like that .... when you get over 40 your joints will be worn out. "

Me ; " I'm closer to 50 than I am to 40 ! "

Him; :blink:

( I left soon after that, at the end of 'Aikido' training, they did a little Aikido ritual, 'eyes closed' meditation and said some prayers for club members and said thank you " in the name of jesus Christ, Amen " , all crossed themselves, stood bowed and finished. ....... I never did Aikido in the name of Jesus Christ before ! :huh: )

Sounds like a "Carry On Film". This story made me chuckle.

Gotta wonder why so many people with joint problems to martial arts. It's like an asthmatic smoking, right?

In short, I did Wing Chun for 5 years. After 3, when things were being ramped up in training and gradings, I took many blows to the head.

That eventually slapped some common sense into me. I quit.

Sign in to follow this