Ell

TTC translations in the public domain

Hi all, looking for a bit of help once again....

Long story short, I'm rolling around an idea for a new creative project right now in which it'd be helpful to have an English translation of the TTC that was in the public domain for me to kind of attach to a separate but inspired work. Any recommendations?  

And for any very practiced students (i.e. if you know of many different p.d. translations):

-what would you say is the best translation?

-What would you say is the most accessible translation (in terms of language for the everyday American)?

I'm not sure what you are asking for in your first paragraph.

Basically, all translations are public domain although intros, notes, etc of the translator are generally protected.

This site has quite a few translations:  http://terebess.hu/english/lexikon/l.html

To your second paragraph, I prefer Robert G Henricks' translation.

Actually I was quite surprised MH that you like Henricks translation as I took one look at the first verse and thought;

" It doesn't make a great deal of sense" :(

I haven't bothered with the rest as the first verse has already put me off.

• Like 2

Actually I was quite surprised MH that you like Henricks translation as I took one look at the first verse and thought;

" It doesn't make a great deal of sense" :(

I haven't bothered with the rest as the first verse has already put me off.

But consider that I had already read a few translations of the TTC and then the Chuang Tzu before I ever read Henricks.  That was the first translation I bought.  The earlier ones were from various libraries.

I would agree that Henricks' translation is rather dry but then he did it as a scholarly venture unlike someone like Red Pine.

I have liked Henricks less over time but his notes and investigation is a good resource.

I have a soft spot for Hinton; terse and to the point.

Wing-Tsat Chan was my favorite for a long time. 

I like Chu Ta-Kao and it is interesting how early his translation is.

I think Derek Lin has some good insight.

In general, I like Lok Sang Ho.

But in the last few years, I am more drawn to Elucidations like Ni and oral transmissions like Flowing Hands.

http://terebess.hu/english/tao/_index.html