Trunk

"There's an app for that" (apps related to TDB's kinda topics)

My point wasn’t so much about determining the rights and wrongs of the various players, rather it was to highlight that we are all biased in our judgements, especially when it comes to our own self-interest. I agree with the saying, “To be human is to be hypocritical”. It’s all too easy to find faults with the world outside ourselves rather than within ourselves.  For instance, if I owned shares in Apple Corp I would probably smile every time someone mentioned owning an Apple product.  

That said, I do not think all these large corporations are the same. I think that’s a cop-out. They all have their different personalities and strategies for survival. And I take this into consideration when buying products. But certainly, it’s only one many factors, and shaped by own biases for sure. It’s up to everyone to decide what works best for them. 

BTW I own a share portfolio that I’ve built up over the past decade, and corporate behaviour plays the major part in how I determine what shares I hold. I use the income it gives me to manage where I live as a small (75 acre) private wildlife sanctuary. 

Congrats on the wildlife sanctuary! Perhaps I shouldn't have actually said all the tech corps are the same - they clearly have different 'personalities' - and I am fairly sure that I am probably still stuck in the late 90's when Apple had a superior product placement and design strategy which allowed them to turn things like clunky mp3 players into the must have gadget of beauty - whether you really needed it or not.

There was a time also before that when there was the mega big Microsoft corporation and little Apple struggling on with a tiny percentage of the market - and I'm guessing that this is the origin of the appeal to lefties.

However what you also have to take into account I think - is that what 'being left' means has changed radically in the last ten years.  So much so in fact that I am probably no longer left wing - but I haven't changed much in my values - the left has.  I think the traditional part of the left which would object to major corporate business is now almost extinct.

But as I said above I cannot think of any political influence over what I buy -  so if its there its unconscious.

• Like 3