Nikolai1

The two types of seeker

Wonderful Manitou thank you! You know you said that you often thought you had 'found it' - how did it feel when you realised you hadn't? Was it frightening, disappointing?  I wonder if there is some unpleasant emotion associated with moving on, and this why people are loathe to do it.  

Wonderful Manitou thank you! You know you said that you often thought you had 'found it' - how did it feel when you realised you hadn't? Was it frightening, disappointing?  I wonder if there is some unpleasant emotion associated with moving on, and this why people are loathe to do it.  

No, there wasn't any disappointment, because concurrently with spiritual seeking I was doing ego work, and continue to do so.   I don't recall any time of disappointment - but perhaps because I was never vested in it, in that I was never a paid teacher of anything.  I think folks that hang their shingle contingent on a particular viewpoint are more prone to trauma if their ideas are threatened.

I have a lady friend who teaches a course in Manifestation at a local junior college.  She's into all the occult stuff - tarot, tea leaves, pendulum stuff, Reiki - you name it.  She has a large network of 'metaphysical' friends and vendors who put up booths at her Metaphysical Faires.  She's a lovely woman, but scrapes a very broad metaphysical surface - without depth.  We have been friends for several years, but I think she is a little afraid of me, because I can see her insides.  Recently, she was complaining because her sons didn't appreciate her enough, 'after all she's done for them'.  When I mentioned to her that the only appreciation she really needed was her own and that she didn't need the approval of others - you should have seen the fear in her eyes!  As we were saying goodbye anyway, she threw her car into reverse and sped down the driveway.  It was a real threat to her, to have her way of being threatened in any way.  Actually, the fact that she teaches Manifestation is a source of surprise to me, because what Mary actually teaches is Manipulation, and she doesn't know it.  I think in this sense the 'shingles' can be detrimental to our further inner growth, because ego rests on it so heavily.

As to my own path, I just read everything, regardless of what religion or mindset it contains.  There's no philosophy we can't get something out of, as I see it.  Seems like my spiritual understanding has been a combination of a million 'tweaks' of my understandings.

Truth has always been at the basis of this.  Even as a kid, I remember feeling that I wanted to know The Truth.  I think that was underlying the years I was a detective too, probably the motivation for me even being one.  Uncovering the truth.

The Truth already lies within us.  When we hear it from the lips of another, or we connect our minds with the great minds through reading - The Truth will resonate like a violin string inside us when heard.  It's already there, it just needs to be connected to our consciousness.  I've gotten just as much from Yogi philosophy and Buddhism as the great metaphysicians.  And the shamans.  It all goes to the same place.

To 'gnow' who we are is the Key - and to Be Here Now in that knowledge.  We become It.

• Like 1