Sign in to follow this  
sillybearhappyhoneyeater

Zeng's three daily checks

Although this is Confucian, I really strongly feel that Zeng zi's three daily checks are something that we can all benefit from in our practice.

They are:

"were my intententions toward others not loyal?

when I spoke with my friends, was I not honest?

did I fail to follow the teachings of my master?"

I have long felt that Confucianism and Daoism can act as supporting frames for each other and that the mindfulness of the observance of Li (propriety) is also a method to cultivate the upright way in ones self.

• Like 5

Sure, the three daily checks could easily be applied within Taoism.

And I will agree that there is a lot of compatibility between Confucianism and Taoism.  After all, Confucius read much of the same thing Lao Tzu read.

• Like 1

In the greater Daoist scheme, I suppose it depends on who you ask? I don't see Laozi as being particularly big on honesty..

(Just to be clear, I am a fan of honesty. And loyalty when it is deserved.)

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 1

In the greater Daoist scheme, I suppose it depends on who you ask? I don't see Laozi as being particularly big on honesty..

(Just to be clear, I am a fan of honesty. And loyalty when it is deserved.)

Who you ask what ? ( and it is fine for you to be a a fan of those things IMO but why does the OP suggest that its not taught by the master ? :) )

Ah! I was assuming the master to be Zeng zi's , but yeah He could be directing someone else regarding their master. Quite right. Though it would be slightly presumptuous, if the masters don't all teach the same curriculum , How could Zeng properly advise a person to obey -that which Zeng ,or his master - considers bogus? :)

Edited by Stosh

I would imagine that if one has a master, one has decided to accept and follow his teachings; in which case it would not be too presumptuous for Zengzi to suggest that one does indeed remember to accept and follow the master's teachings, otherwise one is guilty of being a poor student. The 3 checks then cover everyone who has a master, whether or not the master teaches loyalty and honesty (which I would imagine most do, but don't necessarily remember to teach it daily). (I suppose the problem would be if one's master teaches disloyalty and dishonesty.)

My only problem is that my master is me, and sometimes I forget to teach myself things. Or follow them. Not very authoritative.

Edited by dustybeijing

I would imagine that if one has a master, one has decided to accept and follow his teachings; in which case it would not be too presumptuous for Zengzi to suggest that one does indeed remember to accept and follow the master's teachings, otherwise one is guilty of being a poor student. The 3 checks then cover everyone who has a master, whether or not the master teaches loyalty and honesty (which I would imagine most do, but don't necessarily remember to teach it daily). (I suppose the problem would be if one's master teaches disloyalty and dishonesty.)

My only problem is that my master is me, and sometimes I forget to teach myself things. Or follow them. Not very authoritative.

You win that round :)

Sure, the three daily checks could easily be applied within Taoism.

And I will agree that there is a lot of compatibility between Confucianism and Taoism.  After all, Confucius read much of the same thing Lao Tzu read.

Lol "read much of the same thing".

Laozi was his teacher.

You know, Dao is much more then just about what someone reads.

Edited by LaoZiDao
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this