Wun Yuen Gong

Need help on Lao Tzu and meditation practice?

I agree 100%. The questions being asked in this thread's opening and follow up questions seem to be focusing more on specific techniques:

My comment was more focused on the lack of specific methods or techniques discussed in Daodejing. Achieving wu wei in one's daily life certainly appears to be the way of the sage in Laozi, as you so nicely put it, Lin. This does not necessarily mean that Laozi felt this could be achieved or needed to be practicied through seated meditation, standing, qigong, taiji, or any other specific method that is currently in vogue. None of these are mentioned in Daojejing to my knowledge. Certainly, the principles in Daodejing are consistent with meditative practices and can be applied to seated meditation, taiji... My comment is more to clarify that we really have no idea if Laozi (assuming he is a historical character in the first place, which I believe, he was...) practiced any particular style or method of meditation or did he simply feel that one needed to cultivate wu wei in everyday life?

The "problem" if any problem exists to begin with is most Taoists don't agree on TTC. For example, BK Frantzis, if I am not mistaken, says his lineage is a direct unbroken transmission from Lao Tzu down the many centuries to his teacher and then to him. If you buy that, then he is the one to talk to or study with on TTC practice.

Then you have some Taoists like Taomeow here on TB's who say TTC is more like an outdated manuscript written for a specific purpouse(advice to a leader on how to rule a nation).

I am sure I will get another wonderful perspective when I get to study with Wudang Taoist Master Chen and Ken Cohen this year and they will give there views on TTC..which I am guessing will probably be more the view I will personally subscribe to(whatever it is).

namaste.

Edited by Cameron

The "problem" if any problem exists to begin with is most Taoists don't agree on TTC. For example, BK Frantzis, if I am not mistaken, says his lineage is a direct unbroken transmission from Lao Tzu down the many centuries to his teacher and then to him. If you buy that, then he is the one to talk to or study with on TTC practice.

Then you have some Taoists like Taomeow here on TB's who say TTC is more like an outdated manuscript written for a specific purpouse(advice to a leader on how to rule a nation).

I am sure I will get another wonderful perspective when I get to study with Wudang Taoist Master Chen and Ken Cohen this year and they will give there views on TTC..which I am guessing will probably be more the view I will personally subscribe to(whatever it is).

namaste.

Dao De Jing, outdated? Only for leader of nations...? Daoists don't agree on it?

Minds relying on modern ideas...it is outdated. People needing to control/lead...purposely for them.

Daoists in disagreement...too many heads ontop of heads.

It is as it is. Who can see through the culture and context to get to the truth?

Method: Meditation.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

When I first started practicing Dao meditation, I asked my teacher if he could recommend a particular translation of Daodejing. He said no. I asked if that was because he never read it in English. His reply was something like - there is no need to read, just sit, reading is for scholars, now practice... (in his mouth, the word scholar is less complimentary sounding than usual...).

When I first started practicing Dao meditation, I asked my teacher if he could recommend a particular translation of Daodejing. He said no. I asked if that was because he never read it in English. His reply was something like - there is no need to read, just sit, reading is for scholars, now practice... (in his mouth, the word scholar is less complimentary sounding than usual...).

Meditation is the method of revealing wisdom. Wisdom is the result of lessening. Once wisdom is present,

everything can be understood without bias. Scholoars stick to their understandings, and those who are held in high esteem by society. It isn't too pure. Helpful for some, but mainly detrimental to one without the cultivation.

My cultivation brother says the same thing, "Don't bother with scholarly work, just cultivate; meditate, get the poisons out of the body and mind, and then, when you are free to come and go as you please, do what you wish. Until then, there is nothing more important than cultivating."

Peace,

Lin

Dao De Jing, outdated? Only for leader of nations...? Daoists don't agree on it?

Minds relying on modern ideas...it is outdated. People needing to control/lead...purposely for them.

Daoists in disagreement...too many heads ontop of heads.

It is as it is. Who can see through the culture and context to get to the truth?

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Right. But wasn't the specific question on what TTC is as far as a meditaiton guide? I have no idea if it's true or not but BK Frantzis does in fact claim it is basically the foundation of his system(The Water Method)

My guess..if I have to guess..is TTC is just some beautiful poetry written by an enlightened guy.

I think these questions are somewhat valid though. Sort of like you like to know who Buddha was speaking to or what he was speaking about.

But I totally agree with you in the end it's just about your own cultivation. Let the scholars worry about who wrote what for who and why and when :unsure:

Edited by Cameron

Right. But wasn't the specific question on what TTC is as far as a meditaiton guide? I have no idea if it's true or not but BK Frantzis does in fact claim it is basically the foundation of his system(The Water Method)

My guess..if I have to guess..is TTC is just some beautiful poetry written by an enlightened guy.

I think these questions are somewhat valid though. Sort of like you like to know who Buddha was speaking to or what he was speaking about.

But I totally agree with you in the end it's just about your own cultivation. Let the scholars worry about who wrote what for who and why and when :unsure:

Its all good Cameron!

The manner which one feels proper according to their reasoning, own logic, and common sense is the right way for them for the time being. Until something clicks and they see another manner which does the same.

:D