watercourseway

a whole bunch o' newbie questions

The way "some" go about it, however, is by starting out with the idea in the head of what a "self" is and isn't. Far as I'm concerned, this merely installs a particular new type of filter in the head, is all it does.

In the process I describe, "the real self" is not an issue at stake, just a by-product of systemic normalization.

We are more alike than you know. Some people will scrape at the barnacles believing they are really a beautiful whale. When a mermaid appears they are disappointed. We can't know what we will find when we remove the detritus - I know what you are describing.

This is why there is nothing to be said, so often. And the not saying is misconstrued, and there is nothing to be said about that.

That is my experience, at least.

Mine too.

:D But "I" love to feel, see my .sig

My strange semantics and brevity breed misunderstanding sometimes. We really actually are - compared to the 10 thousand myriad things - small and useless. By understanding, knowing, and "being" small and useless with acceptance - you will feel it even more. Maybe I'm still not making sense, but I wrote a poem about it in early 2006.

We are not great meteors that can obliterate an ocean;

we are tiny pebbles.

Be compassionate and do what you are able.

Be pragmatic and know your control goes no farther than the end of your fingertips.

Practice what is right over that which you have control;

Use what influence you have over that which you have influence.

Every day, cast yourself into life where you can make a small splash;

Be content that the ripples, though small, have influence.

Know you have done what you can,

and become familiar with peace.

My strange semantics and brevity breed misunderstanding sometimes. We really actually are - compared to the 10 thousand myriad things - small and useless. By understanding, knowing, and "being" small and useless with acceptance - you will feel it even more. Maybe I'm still not making sense,

You are making sense, I think we are talking about the same thing. I think my sense of humor is confusing things more than it should.

Feeling (sorry, being) useless and small is my current thing. I find it quite scary and I like trying to work through the fear that it brings.

Nice poem too, thank you for posting it.

Feeling (sorry, being) useless and small is my current thing. I find it quite scary and I like trying to work through the fear that it brings.

Nice poem too, thank you for posting it.

I'm curious, I would like to understand more about your fear. This is an honest question - if you don't mind answering - not a criticism. What is it that you fear about being useless and small?

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, but a teacher only lays out the methods, and guides along the way. The real teacher is the cultivator

who puts diligence into practice.

No, because one may have good affinities/fate with certain mannerisms of mind, and be able to attain things

without the aid of a formal teacher...only someone to point to the direction, or method briefly.

It is both yes and no given one's affinities, conditions.

Peace,

Lin

ah i see. this makes good sense to me. in your experiences do you find this differs from buddhism in any of its forms?

ah i see. this makes good sense to me. in your experiences do you find this differs from buddhism in any of its forms?

Not really. With Buddhism, the teachings are on the table. Whoever sees, attains.

Yet, there are even higher teachings that not just anyone can attain, and still cannot get from any Wise Sage

of the Buddhist school. Depends on one's affinities 100% of the time.

Lin.