fugue

breathing

How often do you do reverse abdominal breathing? I just do it while walking mainly or in sitting meditation. Also, to breathe deeper do you exhale more (what I do) or inhale more?

You can do RAB any time if you are capable. You can do it either sitting or walking. I would prefer doing it while walking. You breathe deep with the same amount of inhale and exhale. When you breathe, do it deep, slow and long for both inhalation and exhalation.

An experienced martial artist always try to do RAB during combat for self protection and issue maximum body strength.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Hi Fugue,

Nice avatar, do you train with Kumar Frantzis?
I've learned some breathing in his chi gung system.

In the first stage, Opening the Energy Gates, you learn to do all the exercises with normal breath, not matched with the movements. Just natural, even inhale and exhale.

In the next phase Heaven & Earth, you learn reverse breathing and incorporate that into each of the movements, then pairing it with your actions.

After that you do a variety of breathing skills, depending on for martial arts, chi gung or meditation, each having it's own use and purpose.

-Jess O

I know who your talking about but I have never even met him. I am with Master Chun Man Sit who teaches Wu Style Taiji, Drifting Cloud Qigong, Six Healing Sounds and Six Elbows Kung Fu (his own conglomeration) . We match breathing (always through the nose) with movement except for natural breathing in certain qigong movements. He knows other things than what he teaches. He has this cool Chen form that emphasizes silk-reeling he learned from the late Master Feng and just has a great depth of knowledge in martial arts in general

Edited by fugue