I have read that there are 12 primary and 8 extra meridians in the body, are the 8 extra the 8 gates, and how would one open the 8 gates, is there a specific system or does practicing qigong eventually lead to controlling them. Can one detect the 8 gates in their body when practicing qigong. Moreover, if the 8 extra meridians are the 8 gates, then what are the 12 primary meridians?

• Like 1

I heard only of 3 gates, not 8. Where did you get that from? The 3 gates are Wei lu, Jia ji and Yu zhen.

• Like 2

I heard only of 3 gates, not 8. Where did you get that from? The 3 gates are Wei lu, Jia ji and Yu zhen.

I have never heard of those gates, do you perhaps mean the lower, middle, and upper dantian?

Well, yes, they correspond to the lower, middle and upper, they are actually passage gates for the jing to pass through the spinal marrow, the first one is the coccis bone, the second one is one of toracic vertebrae, I don't recall which but should be the one near the heart, and the las one is the last cervical vertebrae which connects to the skull. By opening these three gates you open the governor channel and the microcosmic orbit.

Edited by Andrei
  • Like 1

After you open the microcosmic orbit and practice a while, then you can open the macrocosmic orbit which is the circulation of energy through all 8 extraordinary meridians.

This meditation is described also in Taoist Yoga by Lu Kuan Yu.

• Like 4

My bad, the meridians are long lines extended throughout the body, the eight gates i was thinking about were

Gates180px-Chakra_Gates.JPGThe Eight Gates.
  1. The Gate of Opening (開門, Kaimon), located in the brain, removes the restraints of the brain on the muscles so 100% of the user's strength can be used whereas normally, a person can only use 20% of their muscles' strength to keep them from disintegrating. Unlocking this gate allows the user to use the Front Lotus.
  2. The Gate of Healing (休門, Kyūmon; English TV "The Gate of Rest"), located in the brain, forcibly increases the user's physical strength and temporarily re-energises the body.
  3. The Gate of Life (生門, Seimon), located on the spinal cord, allows the user to use the Reverse Lotus. The increased blood flow turns the skin red.
  4. The Gate of Pain (傷門, Shōmon), located on the spinal cord, increases the user's speed and power. May cause muscle tissue to tear on use.
  5. The Gate of Limit (杜門, Tomon; English TV "The Gate of Closing"), located in the abdomen, increases the user's speed and power.
  6. The Gate of View (景門, Keimon; English TV "The Gate of Joy"), located in the stomach, increases the user's speed and power. Opening of this gate releases such enormous amounts of energy that it can cause nearby water bodies to form a vortex around the user. Once opened, capable users can perform the Morning Peacock.
  7. The Gate of Wonder (驚門, Kyōmon; English TV "The Gate of Shock"), located below the stomach, further increases the user's speed and power. Only after this gate is activated, can a capable user perform the Daytime Tiger. Those who open this gate will secrete glowing green — blue in the anime — sweat from every inch of their body which immediately evaporates from their own heat energy, creating an aura which people mistake as a chakra coating. Unfortunately, the side effects of opening the gate are that the user's muscle fibres are ripped to shreds, causing intense pain if anything or anyone touches them.
  8. The Gate of Death (死門, Shimon), located at the heart, requires the user to puncture their chest just above the heart in order to open it. Opening this gate will cause the user's blood to emanate a flaming aura of red steam from all pores of their body, hair, and eyebrows. Releasing this gate uses up all of the body's energy while making the heart pump at maximum power. Exceeding the power of every other gate, the user is granted approximately a hundred times their normal power, far beyond that of the five Kage, but comes at the expense of their life once the technique ends. Once activated, those who are capable can perform the Evening Elephant and the Night Guy. If one were to die from the effects of opening all Eight Gates, they will crumble to ash, having virtually cooked themselves from the inside-out.

i know they're from naruto, but still some of the stuff in it is legit, so i thought this might be aswell.

• Like 1

haha yeah too much Naruto. I read it too but it's all only loosely based on real stuff. Don't look too deeply into it.

thanks, my bad, but could you answer my other questions?

My bad, the meridians are long lines extended throughout the body, the eight gates i was thinking about were

i know they're from naruto, but still some of the stuff in it is legit, so i thought this might be aswell.

WHAT? Are you serious? I don't wonder anymore why they are so many screwd up by training from naruto, air bender or dragon ball z.

• Like 4