Sign in to follow this  
Satya

Psychological Issues and Spiritual Practices: Shouldn't Practices Trump Therapy/Medication?

So we have CBT and SSRI and DW and OBE

It might actually be helpful to at least once use the full wording prior to a full post with no reference.

• Like 1

Advanced practices such as spinal breathing prior to preparation is nearly the same as taking LSD and Speed together.

So we have CBT and SSRI and DW and OBE It might actually be helpful to at least once use the full wording prior to a full post with no reference.

Hello,

I apologise if the acronyms have negatively affected you (sincerely), I've got some explanations following.

I had to look through the previous page to find DW, as I hadn't used it.

Generally, from writing for academic papers, etc, I of course always provide the original wording before using an abbreviation or acronym. However, the rule is, in some referencing formats, that if it's a commonly used acronym, for example CBT, UK, USA, etc, that full wording is not needed, and CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), being the dominant therapeutic modality, almost a panacea in the mental health world, is definitely common enough to be well known (or at least incredibly easily found out through an online search), the same goes for SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) , they are the dominant medication family for most all anxiety disorders, mood/depressive disorders, and even some eating disorders (and I'm sure there are more uses still). This being a spiritually based forum, I would assume that OBE (out of body experience) would be well known enough that it would, in this environment, not require spelling out (and again, a very brief web search will reveal results).

We've had a thread over on DW along similar lines.

May be of interest to you.

http://www.dharmawhe...hp?f=66&t=16169

Regarding DW, the only place that it is mentioned is here ^, and, one can logically infer/extrapolate from the context and information provided, that, DW is referring to the referenced DharmaWheel forum two spaces below.

Lastly, this isn't an academic journal, and, though, I often, out of habit, write full wording, as with all forums that I/all-people, and I'm guessing you to, contribute to, for the sharing of ideas, development of ideas, sharing of information and education of those asking questions, we do so in our free time, unofficially, with no reimbursement, except the joy/satisfaction of helping others, etc (which is no small thing, but still, no financial reimbursement).

As time is ultimately our only true resource, giving our time freely is a big deal, so, I think it is forgivable and understandable if someone occasionally doesn't spell out the full wording of (to them, and in some instances to the world) a well known acronym, when, the person who is receiving the information of interest for free, that the other has spent a long time formulating, can very easily, either ask: "What does that mean?" Or, spend their own very brief bit of time looking online for clarification.

I am not intending to be argumentative, but to simply to respond to your post, elucidating and providing a reasoned response, to, what, I thought reads/comes off as passive aggressive.

"It might actually be helpful to at least once use the full wording prior to a full post with no reference."

Though it could be just my perception (and arguably all sensory input is altered slightly by our own conditioning [until we enter into an enlightened state of simply perceiving what is) I don't think it's just me that would think that.

I'd find: "What does OBE stand for?"

Or: "Could you explain what these acronyms are?", simpler, not passive aggressive and more straight to the point.

Again, no malice intended, :) just explanation/elucidation from my point of view, defending the not so stringent use of language on forums (as, you're referring to the posts not just from me, but from others too).

I hope this response doesn't result in any unpleasant/negative thoughts sensations, as it is not intended to, just logical elucidation.

Advanced practices such as spinal breathing prior to preparation is nearly the same as taking LSD and Speed together.

Do you mean spinal breathing without prior preparation?

If so, out of interest, what preparation would you recommend/would your schools/teachers recommend? Stuff like nadi sodhana, meditation, asanas, yama, niyama, all of the above?

In most all schools of Kriya Yoga, and a few other Yogic systems, spinal breathing is one of the first practices that people do, and, I think there are a few Taoist based systems that involve a sort of spinal breathing element quite early on, like spring forest and the small universe, and a lot of other qigong systems using micro cosmic orbit (MCO) very early on.

What would you say the averse reactions be from starting it sooner?

I personally don't think that it's close to taking LSD (one of the strongest per volume psychedelics on the planet) and speed together. When I've done it (spinal breathing), I've felt general feelings of calm in most instances, and in some rare occasions, feelings of euphoria/bliss afterwards.

Unless we're talking about a different kind of spinal breathing that is found in Kriya schools (Kriya Pranayama), Bihar School (Prana Vidya), AYP (spinal breathing), Tantric Kriya Yoga, or MCO.

Edited by Satya

So we have CBT and SSRI and DW and OBE

It might actually be helpful to at least once use the full wording prior to a full post with no reference.

Apologies.

MBSR

Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction.

MBCT

Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy.

MBSR Coaches/Mentors take an accredited Level 4 ( Equivalent to the first undergraduate year at University) training course.

MBCT Therapists undertake a Level 7 ( Masters Programme) 2-or-3 Year course ( depending on how many hours per year they put in).

Both MBSR and MBCT accredited routes are recognised by and therefore available via the UK 'National Health Service' which means that a Doctor can refer a patient.

There are unaccredited teachers out there who advertise ' Mindfulness' programmes but only accredited teachers are officially recognised as such by our NHS.

Edited by GrandmasterP

So we have CBT and SSRI and DW and OBE It might actually be helpful to at least once use the full wording prior to a full post with no reference.

Apologies. MBSR Mindfulness Based Stress Relief. MBCT Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy. MBSR Coaches/Mentors take an accredited Level 4 ( Equivalent to the first undergraduate year at University) training course. MBCT Therapists undertake a Level 7 ( Masters Programme) 2-or-3 Year course ( depending on how many hours per year they put in). Both MBSR and MBCT accredited routes are recognised by and therefore available via the UK 'National Health Service' which means that a Doctor can refer a patient. There are unaccredited teachers out there who advertise ' Mindfulness' programmes but only accredited teachers are officially recognised as such by our NHS.

Would have been the more concise, mature, less argumentative, less hypocritical way to respond.

Though, despite:-

Hello,

I apologise if the acronyms have negatively affected you (sincerely), I've got some explanations following.

I am not intending to be argumentative, but to simply to respond to your post, elucidating and providing a reasoned response,

Or: "Could you explain what these acronyms are?", simpler, not passive aggressive and more straight to the point.

Again, no malice intended, :) just explanation/elucidation from my point of view, defending the not so stringent use of language on forums (as, you're referring to the posts not just from me, but from others too).

I hope this response doesn't result in any unpleasant/negative thoughts sensations, as it is not intended to, just logical elucidation.

-these above sentiments still remaining (non intention of argumentation)-

-it's quite hypocritical of me to write something that has to have disclaimers that it's not intended to be argumentative and that goes into in-depth detail, which isn't as concise as just providing the wording.

So, rather than the above post, here's my simple refined response:

OBE (out of body experience)

CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy)

SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors)

DW (DharmaWheel; though I didn't use that one ;) ).

Apologies Spotless. I hadn't eaten anything all day when writing that response, and was at a friends getting some work done for university which I was unable to do at home, due to our internet provider messing up and our internet being cut off. Also, at the moment I'm finishing a masters, and am thus in cerebral, neuro, thinky thinky, logical, prove points with debate and reason mode; as all habits beget themselves/cause themselves to grow, this habit of writing in this academic, point proving style seems to have spilled over into my forum writings. Even on this spiritually based, and, arguably, peacefully spirited forum. So, apologies again.

Edited by Satya

Apologies. MBSR Mindfulness Based Stress Relief.

GrandmasterP, the pedant in me wants to communicate that it's Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (not relief; not that it matters exactly, but in the spirit of clarifying terms ;) ).

• Like 1

GrandmasterP, the pedant in me wants to communicate that it's Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (not relief; not that it matters exactly, but in the spirit of clarifying terms ;) ).

It is and that was a teatime typo.

:)

Sign in to follow this