Anyway back to the "burning" type of quote from OP, it sounded to me like he was coming from a mis-view of Buddhist teachings (which I'm not qualified to go into except to point to general and publically available doctrine) thus I'll leave off my foray here and defer to the practicing and well rounded Buddhists to address his quote directly (if you will?) besides addressing it only through some debate or comparisons in doctrine...

Asunthatneversets,

How do your quotes have anything to do with eightfold path?

Right view and conduct are a crucial foundation for all paths to (and means of accomplishing) buddhahood. You seem to be taking the eightfold path very literally.

Yes much of Dudjom Rinpoche's book talks about conduct.

And?

Yes, conduct among other things. You stated on the previous page that the eightfold path was extraneous and irrelevant to Mahāyāna and Mahāmudrā however if you examine the principles of the eightfold path and apply them within the context of Mahāyāna and/or any other path within the buddhadharma, they are the foundation for those paths as well.

Yes, conduct among other things. You stated on the previous page that the eightfold path was extraneous and irrelevant to Mahāyāna and Mahāmudrā however if you examine the principles of the eightfold path and apply them within the context of Mahāyāna and/or any other path within the buddhadharma, they are the foundation for those paths as well.

Eightfold Path doesn't "own" view and conduct.

You are free to follow Eightfold Path.

I follow Mahayana-Bodhisattva path, since I have the motivation to achieve samyaksambuddhahood so that I may benefit infinite sentient beings.

Edited by RongzomFan

The same principles, same themes, same intent, runs through all the yānas, curtailed to fit the capacity of those involved with each. The paths themselves may differ in their approaches, but those underlying principles, themes and intent never wavers. Ergo if you can see what the eightfold path is pointing to, you can see the eightfold path in any of the teachings of the buddhadharma. The same way, if you view any teaching of the buddhadharma, you can likewise see it within the eightfold path. The details may differ and fluctuate, but the underlying theme and intent is the same.

The same principles, same themes, same intent, runs through all the yānas, curtailed to fit the capacity of those involved with each.

Not at all.

Shravakayana lacks bodhicitta.

Only Mahayana has bodhicitta

I follow Bodhisattva path, since I have the motivation to achieve samyaksambuddhahood so that I may benefit infinite sentient beings.

And therein is found the eightfold path, with the minor differences curtailed to the needs of the Mahāyāna view. For example the division of prajñā concerning right view and intention, the only difference would be the treatment of the intention, which would be the bodhisattva ideal. So the same theme is present in the division of prajñā, which is; right view and right intention. Buddha Śākyamuni never intended for the example of the path itself to be fixated upon in a rigid way, but intended for the central themes and views to be malleable so that they can match the capacity of the individual or vehicle concerned.

• Like 1

Not at all.

Shravakayana lacks bodhicitta.

Only Mahayana has bodhicitta

Which fall under the category of 'right intention' in the eightfold path. Therefore correct intention is maintained in whatever form it takes, and the underlying principles stand.

• Like 1

I follow Mahayana-Bodhisattva path, since I have the motivation to achieve samyaksambuddhahood so that I may benefit infinite sentient beings.

Alwayson, There is a certain amount of common sense concerning Buddhism and Buddhist doctrines regardless of all the profound books you read and people you quote. (and like to argue about) I'd say that many of the Buddhist principles are not rocket science even to those of us who are not Buddhists. (of this or that school)

Alwayson, There is a certain amount of common sense concerning Buddhism and Buddhist doctrines regardless of all the profound books you read and people you quote. (and like to argue about) I'd say that many of the Buddhist principles are not rocket science even to those of us who are not Buddhists. (of this or that school)

Bodhisattva path and bodhicitta are not rocket science.

Bodhisattva path and bodhicitta are not rocket science.

Since it seems that no one is getting through to you (about the related principals of the 8 FP) one could take it that what several Buddhists are simply pointing out is like rocket science in your case.

Since it seems that no one is getting through to you (about the related principals of the 8 FP) one could take it that what several Buddhists are simply pointing out is like rocket science in your case.

I understand the Bodhisattva path and bodhicitta are distasteful to you 3bob.

I get it.

Edited by RongzomFan

I understand the Bodhisattva path and bodhicitta are distasteful to you 3bob.

I get it.

Sadly and strangely I don't think you get "it" very well...

Edited by 3bob

Since you like quotes so much this is an excerpt from the one you gave a link for:

Expedient means

Main article: Upaya

"Expedient means (Skt. upāya) is found in the Lotus Sutra, one of the earliest dated Mahāyāna sūtras, and is accepted in all Mahāyāna schools of thought. It is any effective method that aids awakening. It does not necessarily mean that some particular method is "untrue" but is simply any means or stratagem that is conducive to spiritual growth and leads beings to awakening and nirvana. Expedient means could thus be certain motivational words for a particular listener or even the noble eightfold path itself. Basic Buddhism (what Mahāyāna would term śravakayāna or pratyekabuddhayāna) is an expedient method for helping people begin the noble Buddhist path and advance quite far. But the path is not wholly traversed, according to some Mahāyāna schools, until the practitioner has striven for and attained Buddhahood for the liberation of all other sentient beings from suffering."

That whole paragraph is unreferenced.

I would think that whole paragraph would make common sense to most any Buddhist from any school...(just in case is there anyone else here that wants to refute that or agree with it?) Besides and remember it is also from a link that you gave as an authority or source.

Edited by 3bob

I would think that whole paragraph would make common sense to most any Buddhist from any school...(just in case is there anyone else here that wants to refute that or agree with it?) Besides and remember it is also from a link that you gave as an authority or source.

You guys don't understand Wikipedia.

Besides and remember it is also from a link that you gave as an authority or source.

No, I linked to specific paragraph so that you can read the references and do your own independent research.