Mudryah

TAICHI SPEED...

This is an article I found.

Nice one too. I tried a few moves from my Lee Style long form at about 1 minute a move. I was very much aware of my clothing moving around my skin. Felt very relaxed and blissful afterwards. Will do that again when I get the time. Good tip.

• Like 1

There should be no time limit in the slow movements. The time should be determined by how long can one stand on one leg while lowering the other. The longer the practice, the longer one can stand with one leg on the ground. That is the indication of the level of progress. In practicing Tai Ji, all the moves should be constantly flowing with no pause. They should be moving like ocean waves nonstop. The mind will keep track of the position of the repetitious movements in memory. As a result, it gives one the fastest natural reflex when the body comes into action. Most importantly, the muscle tone was developed without anyone has been realized from the slow movements.

Edited by ChiDragon

Sequence of Taiji Form practice as suggested by my teacher:

Frame size:

1) medium

2) large

3) small

Speed:

1) slow

2) medium

3) fast

Most time needs to be spent in medium frame and slow speed. As body relaxes, frame becomes large. The medium and fast speeds can be combined as needed, based on intention of training.

Same thing with push hands practice -- do it slow, with relaxation and softness. This will cultivate listening ability and expose the opportunities to apply different energies at a controlled pace. Later this can become san shou (where full speed may be employed. But even then, the softness and sensitivity will be retained).

• Like 1

See post # 27.

I don't see post numbers. Why don't you type your response. Explain which #2 and #3 you were referring to and why?

I practice the Dong family version of the Yang style. There is a fajin set and a "family set" that gets very fast sometimes. The following isn't something I was told but is what I experienced in the differences between the fast forms and the slow set:

The fajin happens in the slow set if your intention is focused upon opening and closing at this or that moment. It isn't obvious to an observer that a change happened (unless you see those sorts of subtle changes all the time).

When one changes position quickly in the faster moves, The truth of what was felt in the slow set is put to the test:

Am i going faster because of everything opening together?

• Like 1