Karateka

Okinawan Kiko Exercises

Sometimes you make completely unnecessary comments.

Oh? maybe this subject is completely unnecessary? Do you think YOU really stayed on topic ... this is about Okinawa art ... not Japanese ... But I will accept your blame if it makes you feel better :)

Of course it is not Okinawan. It is not Daito Ryu. It is Ki Aikido. Koichi Tohei did not learn those four principles from his sensei Morihei Ueshiba, rather discovered himself.

Where do you think Aikido came from? Ueshiba didn't 'invent it' ... he paid for it! Sometimes a LOT for just one technique. Much came from Daito Ryu ... old style though ... I doubt you will even find a clip of it on internet ... what is there is modern stuff corrupted by the usual corruptions.

If you think Tohei was the first person to realise those principles ... well that is okay ... you are free to think what you want. But he didn't .

You rather wrote them in a very strange way although I gave the link.

http://www.northsideaikido.com/en/ki-principles

Four basic principles for mind and body unification.

But I wanted to see if (for once) I knew what you were talking about without looking at the link ... my friend; you place a lot of faith in the validity of 'links' and internet.

1. Keep One Point: calm and focus the mind at the one point in the lower abdomen.
  2. Relax Completely: release all stress from the body.
  3. Keep Weight Underside: let the weight of every part of the body settle at its lowest point.
  4. Extend Ki: visualise limitless energy radiating from the one point.

You apply one of them at a time. It is enough.

I disagree ... that is the order you LEARN in.

1. Sitting meditation ... don't loose one point .... you loose it ? WACK ... across the back with Jo.

moving meditation, you lose one point ... WACK! Senior black belts strike your face (but stop one hair away) - you loose one point? Wack! then with bokkan ... then with live sword ... stop one hair away from face - do not loose one point.

Now you do a technique ... move at last instant, take the sword and trow them away ... do not loose one point in confidence!

Then work your way through 2 3 4.

But it is not in the order of flow this is the order of learning,

See the order I listed my 1 2 3 4 ; Fire air water earth ... must be in order or your Ki will be depleated

I reality though you must have all 4 at the same time.

You wont understand it (or me ) unless you TRY to understand it :mellow:

Found this searching for sanchin kata... not my cup of tea but looks effective.

Well, I like the position holding/ test of structure (the master dealing blows is a good way to know if you have strength the "6 directions"). What I dislike is that the guys are so tense... (The guy carrying the jars in particular)

No doubt it's effective for combat, but I'm afraid that it might not be very healthy.

Oh? maybe this subject is completely unnecessary? Do you think YOU really stayed on topic ... this is about Okinawa art ... not Japanese ... But I will accept your blame if it makes you feel better :)

Where do you think Aikido came from? Ueshiba didn't 'invent it' ... he paid for it! Sometimes a LOT for just one technique. Much came from Daito Ryu ... old style though ... I doubt you will even find a clip of it on internet ... what is there is modern stuff corrupted by the usual corruptions.

If you think Tohei was the first person to realise those principles ... well that is okay ... you are free to think what you want. But he didn't .

But I wanted to see if (for once) I knew what you were talking about without looking at the link ... my friend; you place a lot of faith in the validity of 'links' and internet.

I disagree ... that is the order you LEARN in.

1. Sitting meditation ... don't loose one point .... you loose it ? WACK ... across the back with Jo.

moving meditation, you lose one point ... WACK! Senior black belts strike your face (but stop one hair away) - you loose one point? Wack! then with bokkan ... then with live sword ... stop one hair away from face - do not loose one point.

Now you do a technique ... move at last instant, take the sword and trow them away ... do not loose one point in confidence!

Then work your way through 2 3 4.

But it is not in the order of flow this is the order of learning,

See the order I listed my 1 2 3 4 ; Fire air water earth ... must be in order or your Ki will be depleated

I reality though you must have all 4 at the same time.

You wont understand it (or me ) unless you TRY to understand it :mellow:

You are making unnecessary comments again.

The subject is Okinawan Kiko exercises, it is Japanese translation of Qigong. I made completely related post with the subject.

I know history of martial arts very well. You are not the one to teach me the difference between Okinawan arts and Japanese arts and/or interaction between them also with Chinese arts.

I know the origins of Aikido much detailed than you do. Again, there is nothing you can teach me in that subject too.

Koichi Tohei was not the first one to realize those principles. I never said such a thing. I said, Koichi Tohei Sensei stated them explicitly such that anybody can learn them easily. I know what I say. You be aware of what you say.

I am not placing too much faith on internet links. Again you did not understand anything. I gave the link such that anybody reading that post can read them without purchasing Koichi Tohei's books.

Your other comments about the order is the finest quality, 99% pure bullshit. I never try to understand it. I just take care not to step on it.

Edited by Isimsiz Biri

I know the origins of Aikido much detailed than you do. Again, there is nothing you can teach me in that subject too.

Koichi Tohei was not the first one to realize those principles. I never said such a thing. I said, Koichi Tohei Sensei stated them explicitly such that anybody can learn them easily. I know what I say. You be aware of what you say.

And you be aware of what YOU SAID;

" Koichi Tohei did not learn those four principles from his sensei Morihei Ueshiba, rather discovered himself.

And you be aware of what YOU SAID;

" Koichi Tohei did not learn those four principles from his sensei Morihei Ueshiba, rather discovered himself.

Exactly, that was the case.

Exactly, that was the case.

What that he

" discovered them himself"

and

" Koichi Tohei was not the first one to realize those principles"

You are contradicting yourself ... in any case Tohei Akido is weak like your argument it contradicts itself

I did both Aikido and Shrin-Ryu ... I could have kicked arse of everyone if I wanted in Aikido, even instructor - if I wasn't content to be polite and learn what I could.

Instructor left eventually, when he left, last day after class he asked me for a dynamic bokkan contest .. I 'killed' him easily - twice ! And not in my dreams. His Ki was weak and not concentrated he had his 4 principles out of order .. Shrin -ryu has 4 principles different and stronger than Aikido but in the RIGHT order.

Okinawan arts are different to Japanese regardless of wether the word kiko means qiqong in Japanese ( your argument has broken logic there in relation to Okinawan Kiko but I suppose you wont understand what I mean again ... convenient for you, yes? ... have you done Okinawan arts? I have done both Okinawan and Japanese and tested both against each other.

Okinawan martial artists had to defend against swords when they had no swords ... and guns too (Commander Perry and later others ... only with minature ornamental iron fan.

What that he

" discovered them himself"

and

" Koichi Tohei was not the first one to realize those principles"

You are contradicting yourself ... in any case Tohei Akido is weak like your argument it contradicts itself

I did both Aikido and Shrin-Ryu ... I could have kicked arse of everyone if I wanted in Aikido, even instructor - if I wasn't content to be polite and learn what I could.

Instructor left eventually, when he left, last day after class he asked me for a dynamic bokkan contest .. I 'killed' him easily - twice ! And not in my dreams. His Ki was weak and not concentrated he had his 4 principles out of order .. Shrin -ryu has 4 principles different and stronger than Aikido but in the RIGHT order.

Okinawan arts are different to Japanese regardless of wether the word kiko means qiqong in Japanese ( your argument has broken logic there in relation to Okinawan Kiko but I suppose you wont understand what I mean again ... convenient for you, yes? ... have you done Okinawan arts? I have done both Okinawan and Japanese and tested both against each other.

Okinawan martial artists had to defend against swords when they had no swords ... and guns too (Commander Perry and later others ... only with minature ornamental iron fan.

Again you understood nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Koichi Tohei found those principles by himself. Centuries ago, another master also found by himself. Now, Koichi Tohei is not he first person to find the principles by himself.

Your aikido dojo and sensei most probably belonged to Aikikai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikikai) Koichi Tohei Sensei left Aikikai in 1974 and founded Ki Aikido (Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido). The four principles are not practiced in Aikikai in the following years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koichi_Tohei#Creation_of_the_Ki_no_Kenkyukai

Creation of the Ki no Kenkyukai[edit]
The events leading up to the split between the main aikido organization, the Aikikai, and Tohei were fueled with the death of Morihei Ueshiba in 1969. His son Kisshomaru Ueshiba inherited the title of Doshu. At the time of Ueshiba's death, Tohei was chief instructor of the Hombu Dojo, the headquarters of Aikikai, a title he retained until his official split from Aikikai in 1974.
One of the major causes of the conflict arose from Tohei's emphasis on his principle of ki in aikido. Tohei wanted aikido to focus on these principles, using exercises to both cultivate and test ki in the daily aikido practice. He had already started teaching his new ideas during his own training sessions at Hombu dojo, but the majority of the other instructors would not. There were some who agreed with Tohei's approach, but Tohei's actions were not welcomed by Kisshomaru and most of the senior instructors. They strongly encouraged him not to teach his principles and techniques in the Hombu Dojo. Tohei replied that he had the right to teach it outside Hombu Dojo, which he did.
But the tensions remained among the senior cadre of instructors, who still did not approve of Tohei's focus upon ki. These brewing tensions together with Tohei's general dissatisfaction with the situation culminated in 1971 when he created the Ki No Kenkyukai, with the purpose of promoting the development and cultivation of ki inside aikido, but outside the Aikikai "umbrella". The years of conflict finally cemented Tohei's decision to break away from the Aikikai and teach his own 'ki' style of aikido. On 1 May 1974, Koichi Tohei officially left the Aikikai organisation to concentrate on his newly created Ki-aikido and Ki-society.
On 15 May 1974, Tohei sent a letter in English and Japanese to the majority of the dojos both in Japan and abroad, explaining his reasons for the breakaway and his plans involving Ki-aikido and the Ki-society. This breakup came as a shock to many aikidoka throughout the dojos of the world. Tohei was well regarded by many instructors and students. He was seen as the foremost sensei of Aikido after Ueshiba's death. This, in turn, led to several dojos breaking with the Aikikai and joining Tohei in his new style. Tohei's new objective was to coordinate all the dojos who joined him and incorporate them into the organisation of Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido: "Aikido with Mind and Body Coordinated". This branch of aikido is still active today even though Tohei himself retired from the day-to-day business of the Ki-aikido section and then concentrated solely on the Ki-society and further personal development of ki.
Edited by Isimsiz Biri

You ask for links before;

http://es.cyclopaedia.net/wiki/Kosei-Nishihira

Venerable teacher ... fourth down in family line from Bushi Matsamura ; personal body guard to 3 Okinawan kings ( founder of Seito style Matsumara family traditon ( not temple style ... that was his day job as king's bodyguard ... temple style was what Funokoshi took to Japan ... it was incorporated as chidren's style (primary school) physical education program ... serious ! )

Part of the video is Chinto kata ... taught to Bushi by a Chinese pirate he was sent to capture (but could not defeat, so they made friends ) I learnt all of the Seito kata and their Seito tradition Bunkai (usually hidden) up to Kusanku (also taught by a Chinese in Okinawa but an envoy, not a pirate.

I will give you a hint ... if you want to understand Chinto ... imagine you are fighting on stairs or in/on a boat. ... that is why Bushi Could not beat Chinto, Chinto was up on rocks at the back of a cave where Bushi trapped him ... but could not defeat him.

Bushi Matsumura was also unable to defeat another challenger, in disguise, it turned out to be a woman ... he married her.

I also studied Seito weapon traditon (not from Bushi but 3rd after him , Mr Nishihira's Uncle and teacher Hohan Sokken ... look him up - very interesting ... uncorrupted system ... he was in Sth America and missed WW II and the American corruption of Okinawan arts in the years after the way ... he came back from Sth America much later with a pure family Shorin-Ryu seito tradition.

I did aikido as well for 12 years and studied all weapons ... you think I don't know what I talk about Isimsiz ?

Again you understood nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Koichi Tohei found those principles by himself. Centuries ago, another master also found by himself. Now, Koichi Tohei is not he first person to find the principles by himself.

Your aikido dojo and sensei most probably belonged to Aikikai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikikai) Koichi Tohei Sensei left Aikikai in 1974 and founded Ki Aikido (Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido). The four principles are not practiced in Aikikai in the following years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koichi_Tohei#Creation_of_the_Ki_no_Kenkyukai

Creation of the Ki no Kenkyukai[edit]
The events leading up to the split between the main aikido organization, the Aikikai, and Tohei were fueled with the death of Morihei Ueshiba in 1969. His son Kisshomaru Ueshiba inherited the title of Doshu. At the time of Ueshiba's death, Tohei was chief instructor of the Hombu Dojo, the headquarters of Aikikai, a title he retained until his official split from Aikikai in 1974.
One of the major causes of the conflict arose from Tohei's emphasis on his principle of ki in aikido. Tohei wanted aikido to focus on these principles, using exercises to both cultivate and test ki in the daily aikido practice. He had already started teaching his new ideas during his own training sessions at Hombu dojo, but the majority of the other instructors would not. There were some who agreed with Tohei's approach, but Tohei's actions were not welcomed by Kisshomaru and most of the senior instructors. They strongly encouraged him not to teach his principles and techniques in the Hombu Dojo. Tohei replied that he had the right to teach it outside Hombu Dojo, which he did.
But the tensions remained among the senior cadre of instructors, who still did not approve of Tohei's focus upon ki. These brewing tensions together with Tohei's general dissatisfaction with the situation culminated in 1971 when he created the Ki No Kenkyukai, with the purpose of promoting the development and cultivation of ki inside aikido, but outside the Aikikai "umbrella". The years of conflict finally cemented Tohei's decision to break away from the Aikikai and teach his own 'ki' style of aikido. On 1 May 1974, Koichi Tohei officially left the Aikikai organisation to concentrate on his newly created Ki-aikido and Ki-society.
On 15 May 1974, Tohei sent a letter in English and Japanese to the majority of the dojos both in Japan and abroad, explaining his reasons for the breakaway and his plans involving Ki-aikido and the Ki-society. This breakup came as a shock to many aikidoka throughout the dojos of the world. Tohei was well regarded by many instructors and students. He was seen as the foremost sensei of Aikido after Ueshiba's death. This, in turn, led to several dojos breaking with the Aikikai and joining Tohei in his new style. Tohei's new objective was to coordinate all the dojos who joined him and incorporate them into the organisation of Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido: "Aikido with Mind and Body Coordinated". This branch of aikido is still active today even though Tohei himself retired from the day-to-day business of the Ki-aikido section and then concentrated solely on the Ki-society and further personal development of ki.

Blah blah blah ... I knew that already ... you logic is still faulty; if I only did Aikikai and Akikai did not teach the 4 principles then how did I lean them?

I learned them in aikido first they worked good ... like magic. I learned a different application version of them in Shorin ryu they defeated the aikido version ... because aikido got all messed up after the war ... read the history ,,, it was very different before WWII ... they started a movement to be part of a mystical society that would share in rulership of territory after the won the war ... but they didn't win ... they were defeated and weakened in spirit and they changed aikido to be more suitable for their American overlords as 1) the old system would never have been allowed ... 2) if the Americans had found out what they were up to they would have put the Aiki into the then equivalent of Guantanamo Bay.

Edited by Nungali

You ask for links before;

http://es.cyclopaedia.net/wiki/Kosei-Nishihira

Venerable teacher ... fourth down in family line from Bushi Matsamura ; personal body guard to 3 Okinawan kings ( founder of Seito style Matsumara family traditon ( not temple style ... that was his day job as king's bodyguard ... temple style was what Funokoshi took to Japan ... it was incorporated as chidren's style (primary school) physical education program ... serious ! )

Part of the video is Chinto kata ... taught to Bushi by a Chinese pirate he was sent to capture (but could not defeat, so they made friends ) I learnt all of the Seito kata and their Seito tradition Bunkai (usually hidden) up to Kusanku (also taught by a Chinese in Okinawa but an envoy, not a pirate.

I will give you a hint ... if you want to understand Chinto ... imagine you are fighting on stairs or in/on a boat. ... that is why Bushi Could not beat Chinto, Chinto was up on rocks at the back of a cave where Bushi trapped him ... but could not defeat him.

Bushi Matsumura was also unable to defeat another challenger, in disguise, it turned out to be a woman ... he married her.

I also studied Seito weapon traditon (not from Bushi but 3rd after him , Mr Nishihira's Uncle and teacher Hohan Sokken ... look him up - very interesting ... uncorrupted system ... he was in Sth America and missed WW II and the American corruption of Okinawan arts in the years after the way ... he came back from Sth America much later with a pure family Shorin-Ryu seito tradition.

I did aikido as well for 12 years and studied all weapons ... you think I don't know what I talk about Isimsiz ?

Your nafs is as big as Empire State Building. If you wanted to a Sufi, the sheikh would make you clean the toilets at least for two years.

Blah blah blah ... I knew that already ... you logic is still faulty; if I only did Aikikai and Akikai did not teach the 4 principles then how did I lean them?

You did not learn them, that is the sole reason you are telling this bullshit right from the beginning.

Edited by Isimsiz Biri

PONG!

Yes I did

or did you think I sneaked a peek at your link on the 4 principles of Aikido ki

then pretended I didn't look

then made a post pretending I didn't look but knew them anyway ... but wrote them wrong (according to you and the site)

That's one imagination you have there .

Oh ... and I suppose you think I made up the stuff about Okinawan Martial arts too ?? (which is actually the only bit ON topic and the bit you ignored ... dude!

Edited by Nungali

Your nafs is as big as Empire State Building. If you wanted to a Sufi, the sheikh would make you clean the toilets at least for two years.

PING

Now your argument is so weak you have to try to distract me with silly insults that do not hurt me or distract me ... weak like Tohei Akido ... in any case I cleaned out a toilet today ... what is wrong with that ,,, it might do you some good and teach you humility ... my friend :)

Edited by Nungali

PONG!

Yes I did

or did you think I sneaked a peek at your link on the 4 principles of Aikido ki

then pretended I didn't look

then made a post pretending I didn't look but knew them anyway ... but wrote them wrong (according to you and the site)

That's one imagination you have there .

Oh ... and I suppose you think I made up the stuff about Okinawan Martial arts too ?? (which is actually the only bit ON topic and the bit you ignored ... dude!

Anyone who knows the dojo etiquette is also trained about to show respect to others.

I am not calling as dude. You are. Even this point shows that you are exactly like the bad karate sensei in the movie "Karate Kid". (Martin Kove as John Kreese) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Karate_Kid_(1984_film)) Yes you learnt the external techniques but not the spirit of it.

Now your argument is so weak you have to try to distract me with silly insults that do not hurt me or distract me ... weak like Tohei Akido ... in any case I cleaned out a toilet today ... what is wrong with that ,,, it might do you some good and teach you humility ... my friend :)

Look, you trying to insult me alhough you can not. It is ok. Koichi Tohei passed away in May 19, 2011. He was a very valuable men. Just clean your mouth about him or this will go to a different direction.

PONG

Okay ... I will not mention a man that has passed on ... maybe it is the Aikido that YOU practice is weak then ... is that better?

Edited by Nungali

PING

A friend challenged me ... he had KI society technique ... he was weak ... he said he can beat me without a touch ... what a laugh ... he did ki society weak aikido ... I went for his eyeballs throat and stopped a big toe kick on his nuts (no injury, perfect focus) he said

"You kicked my balls!!! "

I said , "Yes"

he said, " I felt it but it dint hurt."

I said " I know, stopped in time - focus."

he ran away and didn't want to 'share techniques again

Defeat me without hardly touching me using KI ... what a joke . And he studied at KI society.

Etiquette and spirit didn't help him. He didn't show respect first as he said I would get my arse knocked over by KI ... he never bowed ... where is Ki society respect.

I continually met you with respect in Taobums threads ... you started disrespect . You have a history of this. no matter to me ... I have strong Ki ... I laugh at your insults :D as I think you MUST be joking ;)

Edited by Nungali

Okay ... I will not mention a man that has passed on ... maybe it is the Aikido that YOU practice is weak then ... is that better?

I did not practice aikido. My martial art is different. Again you did not understand.

Google "Aikido, The Samurai Spirit" in Youtube Watch the video. It is 44 minutes long.

Just go to Yoshinkan Aikido Hombu Dojo in Tokyo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshinkan Its founder Gozo Shioda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gozo_Shioda)

Gozo Shioda Sensei did not like Koichi Tohei Sensei.

They will give you a very good lesson such that you never talk disrespectively about Aikido. Send me a postcard after you are beaten.

PONG

I did not practice aikido. My martial art is different. Again you did not understand.

Do you mean to say you have been arguing with me about aikido and okinawan martial arts and you have NEVER done EITHER of them and you are saying IAM THE ONE that doesn't know what he is talking about ?

Google "Aikido, The Samurai Spirit" in Youtube Watch the video. It is 44 minutes long.

Just go to Yoshinkan Aikido Hombu Dojo in Tokyo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshinkan Its founder Gozo Shioda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gozo_Shioda)

Gozo Shioda Sensei did not like Koichi Tohei Sensei.

They will give you a very good lesson such that you never talk disrespectively about Aikido. Send me a postcard after you are beaten.

Well if they aren't Okinawan and they don't like Tohei what the hell have they got to do with this 'discussion'?

Or are you saying this is the Aikido group you trained with even though you don't practice aikido ?

Isnt Gozo that one that dances around in a circle and expects someone to attack him by entering his whirlwind ??? Maybe not, maybe I have mixed up with another Aikdo ki ?

In any case the Aikido use a weak attack to start ... "Hit me this way " ... and people do it out of respect for their master ... that breeds weakness. I Can defeat any attack if I can say how I want the attack to come ;)

As I said ... I trained aikido for years and showed respect in dojo even though I could defeat them in open martial arts ... but aikido doesn't work that way ... they restrict techniques and say only do this or that and train against that ... I defeated my instructor in bokkan as I used simple technique he had never seen, always training against only aikido style attacks where the attack is restricted in form by the direction of the defender ... crazy! I moved in to attack, he was overconfidently expecting me to follow through with my bluff, I kicked my (rubber) sandal through the air and into his face .. his ki was broken ... I cut his arms as I entered with down, ribs with up as I passed , got behind and through the neck from behind ... weak ki! . (And he has never read Art of War or Mushashi ! ) I did show respect as normally that technique is done with hard traditional wooden Okinawan sandal (by the way I tried it on Seito swordsman. his ki was stong he charged forward, knocked the sandal away with the sword and beat me in to the cut and 'killed' me.

Actually the best Aikido man I met ... weapons and sword as well was Aikikai .. but he cross trained with many styles, karate etc. and tested himself and developed skills against them ... that's why he was so good ... he got out of the box .

Maybe you should try to get out of the box. I know you seem threatened by new and different things so it might be good for you ... my friend.

Edited by Nungali

PONG

Do you mean to say you have been arguing with me about aikido and okinawan martial arts and you have NEVER done EITHER of them and you are saying IAM THE ONE that doesn't know what he is talking about ?

Well if they aren't Okinawan and they don't like Tohei what the hell have they got to do with this 'discussion'?

Or are you saying this is the Aikido group you trained with even though you don't practice aikido ?

Isnt Gozo that one that dances around in a circle and expects someone to attack him by entering his whirlwind ??? Maybe not, maybe I have mixed up with another Aikdo ki ?

In any case the Aikido use a weak attack to start ... "Hit me this way " ... and people do it out of respect for their master ... that breeds weakness. I Can defeat any attack if I can say how I want the attack to come ;)

Exactly. To understand the essence, the jing of the art is not related with practicing it without understanding it.

Just watch the video in Youtube.

Nungali,

Also read the novel Shibumi (http://www.amazon.com/Shibumi-A-Novel-Trevanian/dp/1400098033) There is a character called T. Darrly Starr. You will find your character in Starr.

Ping

No ... same answer ... you answer the questions and stop trying to get movies and youtube and books to do it for you ... you cant answer can you?

Edited by Nungali

Ping

No ... same answer ... you answer the questions and stop trying to get movies and youtube and books to do it for you ... you cant answer can you?

Karate starts with respect, ends with respect.

I have great respect for Okinawa styles, especially Gojo Ryu. The style you mentioned and the Sensei never approves you to talk disrespectively about other styles. Apparently, you met people who can not represent Aikido. Any black belt from Yoshinkan, Tomiki, Shin Shin Toitsu or Yuishinkai can teach you a lesson. You did not mention your friends level. Any way this is not the problem. The problem is your attitude. The real purpose of Budo has been mentioned by O Sensei. I have posted it. Search for Morihei Ueshiba and 1925. You will find my post. Budo is not to beat your opponent. It is to beat yourself, your Nafs.