BananaMonkey

Energy experience while dancing

Hey folks,

I enjoy dancing to Drum'n'Bass which obviously is very fast-paced and intense. At a party a few weeks ago I had a feeling of energy concentrating in my upper dantian/centre of my head while I was dancing ecstatically. This was accompanied by an intense feeling of joy. I was completely sober at the time.

My question is, what sort of energy do you guys think this would be within the Daoist system? Is it Qi or maybe Qi being refined into Shen energy?

Looking forward to your input!

• Like 1

Edited by skydog

It occurred to me recently that Dancing is perhaps the only way in modern society, where one can express that a non-verbal reality is important and meaningful.

Everything else in modern culture is filled with words, of course, even singing is verbal, in fact, it is a way for people who are uncomfortable with the non-verbal reality of instrumental music, to add the familiar and comforting words.

But you cannot dance without acknowledging and embracing non-verbal reality .

Of course, spiritual practices are all about non-verbal reality, but many people seem to get around that by talking about it instead. :)

And spiritual practice is usually solitary, and its non-verbal aspects are only known to the practitioners themselves.

So, dancing is the only public acknowledgement of non-verbal reality.

It's interesting that this indicates that fundamentalists are opposed to the non-verbal.

• Like 2

Ecstatic dance is one of the great perception altering practices.

Shaking too. Long known in the shamanic and tribal paths.

My wife broke her t-7 and her coccyx in her early 20's falling down the stairs in our apt.

The dr's in the ER never did a full spinal xray and so never diagnosed the t-7 break, just the coccyx. oops.

In extreme pain for months; she finally just stood up one day and said 'fuck this'.

She then went to my cd collection and put on an hour long world tribal drumming cd of mine.

She then began to dance until she was exhausted.

She repeated this daily. At first 10 minutes or so. But every day, with abandon and determination to find her joy and regain her freedom from pain. She just danced through the pain, into it, through it until it was gone.

Eventually she regained full flexibility and strength, often dancing the disc to the end.

Sometimes she'd lose all sense of self in the ecstatic dance.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1

I love ecstatic dancing and shaking.

I let the dance flow through as I drop into the music. I channel dance :wub:

I am ecstatically grateful that there are so many dances to go to here.

I completely resonate with your feelings of unfettered joy. Keep dancing!

• Like 2