LCH

A question to "healers"

Hello all,

I have hit an inflection point in my path. I currently work within the corporate world and the pressure to pursue a different life vocation is palpable.

Taoism reflects my self-realized desire for service to humanity.

All signs point to learning various "healing" modalities. I have seemingly brought an inherent ability for this with me to this life (as many do) and have finally decided to recognize the charge I feel when I am asked to work on someone or to simply sit and listen and offer perspective to someone in their own life such that they can empower themselves.

To those who work in the "healing" world, can anyone offer their own path to the point of where they have gotten? By this I mean classes taken, time frames, experiences etc... or anything else worth sharing.

I feel that learning massage would be the initial base line with acupuncture and perhaps Qi Gong healing after that.

To anyone who responds, I am open to hearing questions about why I am making this decision if you feel a need to ask them. I am a 3rd generation participant in a family business, so the karma involved is dense. I have done a lot of work in terms of understanding that I am not obligated to the business and that I have pulled my weight in the matter, but it does help to hear other perspectives, from "outside" my own mind.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Funnily enough, I'm at a turning point in my life too. I look to travel (I'm currently the musician/actor/freelance type) and utilize my skills helping less fortunate children as voluntary thing. I think as I have a lack of job security, I see myself doing some form of humanitarian work in 5 years or so, so this venture being the beginning of my journey.

I just feel so sorry for people in lesser situations to me. I was gifted with a birth in England, good parents and a world of opportunity. I want to use this opportunity I have to light up a few faces elsewhere...we have it too easy here and take much for granted.

My sister also has been doing massage courses but I don't know the details. Just seems like she's a natural when it comes to biology and therapy. DM me if you want me to ask her anything....

Hello all,

I have hit an inflection point in my path. I currently work within the corporate world and the pressure to pursue a different life vocation is palpable.

All signs point to learning various "healing" modalities. I have seemingly brought an inherent ability for this with me to this life (as many do) and have finally decided to recognize the charge I feel when I am asked to work on someone or to simply sit and listen and offer perspective to someone in their own life such that they can empower themselves.

To those who work in the "healing" world, can anyone offer their own path to the point of where they have gotten? By this I mean classes taken, time frames, experiences etc... or anything else worth sharing.

I feel that learning massage would be the initial base line with acupuncture and perhaps Qi Gong healing after that.

To anyone who responds, I am open to hearing questions about why I am making this decision if you feel a need to ask them. I am a 3rd generation participant in a family business, so the karma involved is dense. I have done a lot of work in terms of understanding that I am not obligated to the business and that I have pulled my weight in the matter, but it does help to hear other perspectives, from "outside" my own mind.

Thank you.

It is a thankless job in many ways. It is hard work. I always say that unless you know in your heart that this is what you want to do - then don't do it.

Depending on if you go traditional western (MD, DC, DO); or if you go traditional slightly off-scale of public acceptance such as western trained MT; or if you go fully off-scale (in terms of the thinking of the majority of the population) and do something like medical qigong.

The first gives you respect but I am told can be not as satisfying, although personally I think a DO degree would be an awesome jumping off point IF you are independently wealthy. If not, and you have to get school loans, chances are you would end up like the rest and in debt for 15 or 20 years working prescribing drugs (or in the case of DC running from room to room going whack on as many people as you can get through the door) to pay off the debt.

In the case of MT there is more wiggle room to be slightly off the mainstream, especially if what you do has a high efficacy. Low efficacy and you will go broke or burn out. I will come back to this one in a minute.

Or you could go to TCM school. I personally don't fancy this too much but do know many who have gone this route and are happy and helping others. But there are a lot of people sticking needles in. My suggestion is, if you do decide to go this route pick a school that is really big on Chinese Herbal Medicine.

OK, back to MT's. And here I haven't even mentioned medical qigong yet. Why? Because in most states in the USA a person has to have a license to touch. And the quickest way I know is to do a massage school.

But there is a problem with that. If you look at the statistics there is an 80% dropout for massage therapists in the first 10 years. Also, I don't know about you but I have had far too many massages where I hurt worse afterward and just didn't receive any benefit. Hmmn. Could it be that the field is missing something? And that is where the medical qigong comes in.

My suggestion, if you really know you are supposed to do this type of work is go ahead and get the massage license while concurrently studying and practicing medical qigong - don't wait. There are several medical qigong schools in the USA; I have a certification program in Clinical Qigong & Chinese Taoist Medicine.

If you have any further questions I would be glad to speak with you - just give me a call.

• Like 6

Pure heartfelt intent has proven to be the best healing (and harming) power that I am in possession of.

I have made predictions in the past which have come true, many being so overlooked as to be reduced to deja vu by the time of their passing.

I have summoned at least one thunderstorm, and 5 rainstorms, summoned strong winds during the heat of the day, and successfully tempted unseasonable weather more than I can count.

I cannot say with certainty the specific qualities of my abilities, but I know that others have reported sensing an exchange of energies between us; weather this is placebo or not, I cannot say.

Thank you all for your responses thus far, it is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

LCH, I started out learning tai chi from a Chinese master who's own master was from the original Chen family in Honan. He learned healing techniques that he passed on to his students and I was lucky enough to be one of them. I was studying teaching back then and moved away from my master to the country where I continued to practice and teach tai chi and healing. I also studied and practiced astrology, western, back then which was just great to have a few things going that I could draw upon. After that I studied psychology and psychotherapy amd moved ino psychological healing and away from the physical energy healing I had done and loved in the past. I now heal and teach people Daoism and tai chi without using those words.

I suppose what I am saying to you is that despite your core career there is nothing stopping you from learning something you enjoy and love after work hours. In time it may lead to becoming a healer. And don't expect to make a living from it, perhaps as a p/t time adjunct to what ever else you do in life, but one that is phenomenally fulfilling.

Good luck and please keep us informed of how things pan out for you.

• Like 1

Hello all,

Thank you.

Our individual lives are our greatest teacher or practice, so even if we could share our experience, you need to live through and learn from your own experience. You can't shortcut to the end with the decision based on someone else's end state because they went through all the crucial highs and lows. All depends on your other practice and cultivation and how you learn from your individual life. I was in the same place as you, doing sales, thinking that healing as a vocation is closer related to energy cultivation as well as earning karma. Your path may be giving up the family business for a while, it may not. It was easy for me to change occupations, and there is a certain spiritual progress one gets by leaving past habits behind. But healing is not necessarily the best occupation if you want to make progress directly on yourself, this is because you are always with people in need of remedial help, (so they can go back to grasping) and instead of focusing on your improvement, you give much time to their mundane problems, which never end, because thats your job. Healing may be the best occupation as well, since it is fundamentally good to heal others, and many deities can spot your intent and help you with your spiritual progress. I was lucky enough to find a lost and esoteric energy healing lineage of great power.

I am back to doing sales, but I have stabilized my mind enough that I can cultivate doing this as well. When I have stablilized my mind still further, I might go back to healing perhaps. (energy healing, hypnosis,EFT)

The goal of self-liberation remains the same, and not to get caught up in indirect goals is the challenge. Doing good, intending liberation is the direct goal; working and earning by healing money is indirect.

• Like 1

Again, I appreciate the responses, and I find the perspectives given reflect what I often offer to people, it is interesting to be on the receiving end.

Thank you again.

• Like 1

An update to any who are "following"...

Through quite a "synchronistic" chain of events (isn't this what all of life is anyway?) I was offered and accepted a place in a two-year course offered by Dr. Ted Cibik.

It is called Formless Taoism.

A google search will yield an explanation for any who are interested.

This class will be a great initiation for me into continued practice in a group environment from an established teacher. I have met Ted in person and sat with him for a couple hours and have great respect for him.

As this class progresses, I trust that my "destiny" will become more illuminated and I will be able to act accordingly.

Upon gaining entry in this class yesterday, the energetic intensity I have been feeling for the entire month of July, subsided tremendously, and clarity has returned.

I'll take that as a good sign.

Lad

• Like 1

Lad, so glad you are on your path, please keep us informed, this is a story that resonates with many of us.

You can be a part time healer.

Passing by someone and smiling at them.

May be the greatest healing technique of all time, and no doctorate necessary.

• Like 2

I am quoting this to emphasize how true it is. In passing, one can sense a person's mood or aura, especially if you can see their face.

Time and time again, I pass people in the street, I smile at them, nod, or other form of acknowledgement.

Rare is it I encounter someone so adamant in their bad mood that my passing cannot coerce a smile.

Rare is it I pass someone whose mindstorm clouds their eyes to the light of love... rare as it is, its scary...

Because...

So many people I pass walking through salem... people on bikes, on foot, in cars, that my smile, my facing them, my acknowledging them, it almost always brings a smile to the faces of complete strangers. their entire lives, even if only for that brief moment, are cured of all ailments!

Once memory kicks in and their personal storms return, alchemy takes place, and our interaction digests at each other in them until my brief light of love has devoured at their lurking mindstorm.

It's from the omniversal light of love that all things are possible.

• Like 1

Completely agree.