Vmarco

Are Sangha's Healthy?

In what way would they not apply?

I'm not not saying they wouldn't, it's just I haven't come across an explicit reference to the 4NT/8FNP when reading about the grounds and paths of tantra.

I'm not not saying they wouldn't, it's just I haven't come across an explicit reference to the 4NT/8FNP when reading about the grounds and paths of tantra.

I don't think it is explicitly stated no ... but on the other hand it is discarded either ...here's a link from HHSakhya Trizin's website and he starts by saying ...

"The Tantric path begins as the Buddhist path. There is no important philosophical difference between Tantric Buddhism and Mahayana Buddhism - the difference is one of emphasis and method. Let us first look at the practical beginning of the Tantric path."

http://www.hhthesakyatrizin.org/teach_tantra.html

• Like 1

i've never seen specific reference to it either, although i haven't studied the tantras deeply. But it raises a question

is it always the case that tantric practice is grounded in sutric study (to some degree anyway?)

because i only have experience with my lineage, which has prerequisite vows to tantric vows and practice, and those vows entail a study of sutric buddhism, as encouraged by my lama anyway. And from what i've read, that is common, to have a foundation of sutra to build the body of tantric practice on. But is that a (more-or-less) universal thing?

i've never seen specific reference to it either, although i haven't studied the tantras deeply. But it raises a question

is it always the case that tantric practice is grounded in sutric study (to some degree anyway?)

because i only have experience with my lineage, which has prerequisite vows to tantric vows and practice, and those vows entail a study of sutric buddhism, as encouraged by my lama anyway. And from what i've read, that is common, to have a foundation of sutra to build the body of tantric practice on. But is that a (more-or-less) universal thing?

Yep see the link I posted above.

I don't think it is explicitly stated no ... but on the other hand it is discarded either ...here's a link from HHSakhya Trizin's website and he starts by saying ...

"The Tantric path begins as the Buddhist path. There is no important philosophical difference between Tantric Buddhism and Mahayana Buddhism - the difference is one of emphasis and method. Let us first look at the practical beginning of the Tantric path."

Thanks for the link! :)

I agree with this. There is no philosophical difference.

Mahamudra is based on Madhyamaka. Again refer to Center of the Sunlit Sky.

Edited by alwayson

This clip may help establish more clarity....