Chang

Li-family Style Taoist Martial and Health Arts.

I thought that some of you may be interested in a system of martial and health arts practised widely in the UK and also in France and Germany.

The system was first brought to England in the 1930's by Li Kam Chan who was a dealer in precious stones and started a class in London for Chinese friends. He taught an orphan named Chee Soo who later popularised the arts in England.

Full details can be found at http://www.taoistarts.org/

• Like 3

The new TAO website's looking really good Chang.

Tony has so many stories about training in the old days with Lao Ba (The Old Man).

It's great to attend Tony's Lessons, as three quarters of his classes are made up of Instructors.

Basher

Quite so Basher.

Most of the Tao Bums being comprised of non UK residents they will not have heard of our style.

I saw an advert for Li Family Physical Culture being discussed once- the organistion was a bit of an unknown entity.

Do you teach Lee Style Tai Chi?

Could you introduce the style to those members of the forum, including and especially myself, that are ignorant of it?

Many thanks

Awen

Edit: perhaps my request was a bit careless, as i just realised that there is a plethora of information on the website

Edited by Awen

Hi Awen,

Most of the organisations teaching our style use the "Lee" spelling whilst the Taoist Arts Organisation use "Li".

When I was first introduced to Tai Chi it was the Yang style but when my old teacher passed away I took up Li style with the T.A.O. I do find it a far more compact and powerful style and yes, I am now an Instructor.

As you point out in your edit there is a plethora of information on the website and if you go onto You Tube and enter Taoist Arts Organisation you will bring up some video's that may be of interest.

• Like 1

I began Lee style n 1992,a nice flowing style that is fairly easy to learn. Hey Awen, with a name like that you are either Welsh or a Druid I guess.

I stole the anglicised spelling from the Welsh, yes- though i am Irish and generally pronounce the term in the Irish way "Abhainn" (Ow-in). Well spotted Wayfarer... interestingly i originally tried to capture the name Wayfarer, but alas twas gone!

• Like 1

Awen,

further to Chang's post and the information on the TAO website, the Li Family Taoist arts included their style of Tai Chi Ch'uan, together with various other arts like Feng Shou Kung Fu, Chi Shu (involving wrist/arm locks & throws), Health Arts like Tao Yin (breathing) & Chinese Yoga, Tui Na & Chinese Wrestling.

These were all taught to Li Family members only, until the 20th century.

Although the Li/Lee arts are most popular in the UK, France & Germany, there are Instructors around the world from various organisations, that teach it.

Unfortunately, some confusion has arisen as there is a lesser known style of Tai Chi called Li Style, now being taught in mainland China. But one of our TAO Instructors visited the School & it was obvious from a comparison of forms, that there was no connection between the two !!

Edited by Basher

Hi Chang.

I took a few classes many moons ago in Newcastle.

I found it a very good art but due to family commitments I had to let it go.

I may get back to it someday.

Good topic, brings back some good memories.

Hi Chang.

I took a few classes many moons ago in Newcastle.

I found it a very good art but due to family commitments I had to let it go.

I may get back to it someday.

Good topic, brings back some good memories.

We still have Instructors up in Geordie Land so should you ever feel the urge to give it another go..................

• Like 1

Wayfarer wrote : "I began Lee style n 1992,a nice flowing style that is fairly easy to learn."

Bugger, I'm finding it difficult.... :(

The Big Expansive movements of Lee Tai Chi I learnt in the 1980's under a different organisation, I now know to be those of an uncoardinated & awkward Beginner.

Replaced now (after a huge 25+ year gap) by the smaller, more subtle movements with Martial Applications, as taught by the TAO. :ph34r::D:ph34r:

Yes. Under Tony Swanson’s tutorage we have been able to develop the form into something very special. The process of refinement never really ends and that is the both the joy and the annoyance of these arts.

The Li Style is a medium frame tai chi form and I liken it’s nature to a powerful spring. Other practitioners of the style do tend to use bigger, more expansive mevements which can result in the form appearing less powerful which is a shame.

• Like 1

Most of the Li / Lee style organisations use a version of Chee Soo's original "International Wu Shu Association" badge or emblem. Showing a sideways on (West/East) Yin-Yang symbol with a Seahorse in the centre. The Seahorse being the Li Family crest.

When Tony formed the T.A.O. he changed the Yin Yang to the tradional North/South alignment, believe because the Chinese generally advise that any other is considered to be "un-lucky".

But he also replaced the Seahorse with a Horse.

Is that because he was born in the year of the Horse, or do you know if there is another reason ?

Just curious..

Basher

The Seahorse was already in use and so the T.A.O. crest had to differ. Here is an explanation of why the horse was chosen as the symbol for the T.A.O.

post-79853-0-95439900-1374065879_thumb.jpg

The TAO badge consists of the Yin and Yang symbol bearing the horse as a crest. The horse indicates both our roots and our progression, from the seahorse - the Li Family Crest - to the land horse. The horse symbolises a combination of grace, strength, speed and gentleness. Horses make good companions and loyal friends. Whilst they maintain their individuality and independence horses live in groups and work well together. They are sensitive and intelligent and both willing and able to learn. They accept discipline and are hard workers.

The horse is the 7th sign in the Chinese Horoscope and is a yang symbol, positive and outgoind. Its elemental attribute is fire. People born in the year of the horse are noted for their dexterity and can excel at sports and crafts.

Hope this explains things.

Edited by Chang
  • Like 1